Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My computer is dead!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Trouble?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: My computer is dead! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

my computer died today (beyond repair). I'm currently trying to get an emergency machine up and running, but of course that kinda delays me even further with everything. I'll try to post the new comic thread on time tonight, but I can't deal with spikylinks or newsposts right now ;>

(Did I mention that I have even more dentist appointments this week too? This is where you youngsters type "FML", right? ;))
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that must suck big time. I hope you'll get everything sorted out really soon and can concentrate on the comic again.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information, what kind of computer was it?
(I cannot really believe I did not hit the forums for almost two months... )
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxDZ8 wrote:
Just for information, what kind of computer was it?
(I cannot really believe I did not hit the forums for almost two months... )

Ah well, for the curious ...

Old workhorse computer built to specs a few years ago (2006), nothing really special. Intel Core2 Duo E6300 1.8Ghz, 4 gigs of RAM, 560 gigs of HD space, nVidia 6200 LE 128MB graphics, all high quality and extra-silent parts; Win XP. It got damaged in a lightning strike a while ago (2 years? I don't even remember) and some parts were replaced then.

I'm keeping the emergency computer (it's more of a wannabe computer, it's tiny! Hardly bigger than my keyboard :)): Acer AX3400, AMD Athlon II X2 250, came with 4 gigs of RAM but now has 8, 500 GB HD space (plus an external 1TB), ATI Radeon HD 5450, Win 7 preinstalled. I was never a fan of Acer and this machine didn't change that, however it's kinda cute and does its job well enough. Wish it could hold more RAM though.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! So Intel also breaks sometimes! People around here keep saying they never break... looks like they still break when hit by a thunder!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the only part that did survive the lightning strike (at least initially) pretty much was the Intel CPU (and the HDs); everything else was fried. Although I'm speculating that its final death was just a late symptom; processors don't usually die so easily ... I lost some data when the computer did the final series of crashes, but the HDs themselves seem fine, so yeah, I do suspect the CPU. And then it made more sense to get a new machine rather than try to fix the old one ... I heard somewhere that 5 years is the maximum expected lifetime of a PC anyway.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your precision. People around here would say it broke anyway (that was the point) just to beg on it. I've given up in explaining things to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Trouble? All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: