Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#955 Terribly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Story
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: #955 Terribly Reply with quote

http://www.shd-wk.com/index.php?strip_id=955

Last edited by ak-ryuu on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Vincent, he must be feeling terrible. Day until the anniversary is really know now an there is nothing that he can do. And his friends probably aren't feeling any better.
Rainaari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The night to come must be awkward for both Vincent and his friends. I would have no idea what to say, Vincent will have a hard time defending himself - most probably he will just ignore unpleasent questions.

I'm just wondering at which point in the story Vincent lost his will to fight and just let the baron torture him. He could have gone into hiding, somewhere in the forests, across the ocean, foreign legion, whatever.
Of couse he would be dishonored in the process, but if every bridge into his old live had been burned down, what would it matter?

I am pretty sure we have discussed this over and over in the past, but seeing Vincent sit there and have a last drink before the next torture is incomprehensible to me.
Shazbot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince can't run from his own mind. He could go anywhere, but he would still be Vincent Worthless, still be cursed, and still dead at 26. Staying is not losing his will to fight, running away is.
Shazbot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it a bit better, running away does not change who he is. It won't save his life, it wouldn't end the curse, it wouldn't let him have kids. It would let him live differently for a few years, avoid some pain, and die as the quntesstial traitor in a line of traitors; He, unlike his brother, his father, or his grandfather, did not measure up to the role which all of them could handle.

It's a bit difficult to handle in this day and age, but who you are used to be defined largely by birth, rather than by deeds. This seems to be the case in this comic, although it is in the process of breaking down, which puts all the more pressure on those who remain in positions defined by birth. This is doubly true for Vincent, who'se role has a physical manifestation.

In the end, Vincent, as much as he would want to be someone else, is still Vincent Worthless. Running away, and escaping his duties, but not his fate, would prove he and his family a bunch of worthless traitors, whereas dying in the baron's service, or breaking the curse, would prove all the tortures and petty cruelties to be the meaningless domain of a sadist.

Victory can only be won through passive resistance. In comparison to the prize, which is the memory of his family and the Baron's ultimate defeat rendered through his own sadism, what is the pain of flesh?
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really well put Shazbot, I think I never thought it that way. So it's not only about him, but also about his family before him. And he's not given up, but passively fighting against the baron.

I think I need a bit to ponder this.
Shazbot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it would escape the curse, though, he might run away.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazbot summed it up pretty well. (Thanks!)

In addition to that, he's also convinced that the baron would track him down and drag him back sooner rather than later anyway; and that he would not be able to support himself, outside of the world he knows; and he does not want to leave his friends behind.

At least that's what he said when the topic came up within the comic ;)
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vincent was able to take his friends with him, would he leave? That would not get rid of the curse and he might still feel ashamed because he couldn't really do much because of the curse. Can't exactly be a smith or even dishwasher if even simplest weapon is unhandleable.
Shazbot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also some counterpoints to all that that people might start bringing up, too, such as the baron he is under is not the old baron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Story All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: