Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ak-ryuu's To-Do-List/Rant/Whine thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: ak-ryuu's To-Do-List/Rant/Whine thread Reply with quote

I said a while ago I'd post a to-do list thread, both for myself and so that you all can see what's going on, what I'm working on, what I should by working on, and why I'm always frustrated ;)

I'm not fishing for encouragement or anything (of course it's always appreciated!), I just get overwhelmed with running the comic at times, and writing stuff down in public might help with that. (Chances are that I'll regret making the thread later, maybe when I'm off my current medication ;))

I'm always happy for opinions though!

Stuff I need to do:
* Draw 2-3 comics / week.
* Finally add some direct links to "chapters" on the website, now that Part 1 is finished.
* Update the comic search engine (it's way behind).
* Update the "buffer status" page (I never do that ...)
* Write more scripts (Ideally I'd lock myself away for 3 months and write out the whole story -- that would make things so much easier from then on :))
* Draw more.
* Consider redesigning the website (although I don't really want to -- I hate change.)
* At least update the picture of Vincent on the website.
* Decide how long a break to take after #1000 (I will take one -- the options are 3 weeks or 8 weeks. Opinions?)
* Organise the news archives -- I'm a couple years behind with that (I was much better about it in the beginning ;))

Anyone can think of anything I forgot in the to-do list?

Stuff I'm currently not doing, but whining about:
* I won't manage to draw this week. I had more dental surgery on Friday (none of which I even remember, yay for strong drugs) and was completely out of it all weekend (don't remember much of that either :)). I'm OK now, just so very very tired. And I have a comfortable buffer, so I can easily take the week off -- there's just that voice that won't stop nagging me saying "you have the time -- draw comics, dammit!".

Maybe I'll manage to write some scripts this week instead ...

The whole thing is more difficult than it should be -- I'm only posting 2 comics a week, and I only have a part-time self-employed RL job where I can work as much or as little as I want, so it shouldn't be so hard -- but you know by now I have a multitude of (physical) health issues (which I'm slowly getting taken care of, but it's exhausting), as well as major stress/anxiety issues, which are much harder to get fixed.
And of course drawing 2 comics a week seems easy, but once you do it, you realise it takes more time than it would seem at first. Still, it shouldn't be so hard ...

Rant over. For now. Once I wake up, perhaps I'll delete it ...

Last edited by ak-ryuu on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Negation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing stuff down is good idea. I have found that it makes things more manageable for some reason. And it makes it easier to select next thing to work on.

You forgot to write "take breaks, sleep and eat" on the list ;) Not part of running the comic, but still very important things to do now and then.

I wish you all the best and hope that you can continue working on the comic that we all have been reading for years.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after I took the whole last week off (didn't do a single comic related thing), I'm even more tired this week -- and this and the next are two very stressful weeks for me anyway, so maybe I'll just take another two weeks off from drawing. I'd feel terrible about it though :/ And it would pretty much mean I can't have a summer break later when it's just too hot to draw.

Here's where I am now:

Scripts: #1000 (some parts still need fixing)
Drawn: #972
Finished: #972

As you can see, I have enough buffer to take a break, so no worries there, yet. If (if!) I would manage to write a lot of scripts in these two weeks instead of drawing, maybe that would be a solution I could live with. I guess I'll see if I can get started with that ...

Found another thing to add to the to-do list above, too.

One more thing: I have decided that I'll have a break after #1000 goes online, a) because I'll need one and b) for dramatic effect ;P (I now see that was already in the first post, but well...)

What I haven't decided yet is how long the break will take; #1000 will fall on the first Friday in February, and I would resume either on the last Tuesday in February -- or on the first Tuesday in April. (i.e. basically either take 1 or 2 months off.) Anyone got opinions on that? Would really like to hear some. Could you live with another 2 months break so (relatively) soon? Should I just wait with the decision until I'm closer to that date and have a better idea of my buffer status? (I hate postponing decisions, though.)
LadyAxum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs*

IMO, I would say take a longer break. Don't get burned out. Take care of yourself first!

That's a pretty ambitious list!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to finish 3 comics this week after all! Go me.

Now next week is a different thing -- I've got a major toothache, no good painkillers, and no chance to see a dentist before next Friday. 8 days to survive somehow, yay. Don't think I'll manage to draw under those circumstances, perhaps I can write some crazy scripts instead ...
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's today's update -- didn't manage anything at all last week.

Had more dental surgery yesterday, now still on post-surgery painkillers for the weekend. Had to take the cat for emergency surgery today -- and have to keep a close eye on her (and get pills into her twice daily, yay) for 10 days.

I guess I won't get much done comic-wise next week either :/ That's what the buffer is for, I know, and I have enough buffer right now, but ... Well, I'll try not to get too frustrated about it.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quick update, I'm up to #980 now ... and probably have to take another break on account of it being summer and too hot to work ;) I'll try to average at least one comic a week for the next ~6 weeks so I don't deplete my buffer too quickly. If I can do 2/week, all the better :)

After #1000 (at the beginning of February) I'll have a 2 month break, so even if I run out of buffer completely after #1000, I'll have time to catch up again ;)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm a workaholic and can't manage to relax even when I said I'd take a break.

Here's where I am now:

Scripts: #1000 (some parts still need fixing)
Drawn: #990
Finished: #990

Also finally caught up with the little author's notes that I'm *supposed* to write as soon as I finish one, but fell way behind on.

Things to do next:
* Finalise the remaining scripts up to #1000
* Start writing out more scripts
* Make a certain decision about #1000 some time soon
* Maybe slow down a bit now that there's almost 5 months of buffer ;) (But that will likely happen automatically, as the comics around 1000 are a bit too difficult to draw for me, I think ;>)

Hey, at least I'm taking the day off today! :) (More doctors appointments this month too, including yet more dental stuff. Meh. So tired)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I am now:

Scripts: #1000 (pretty much finalised)
Drawn: #996
Finished: #996

Taking this week off comic-wise, and maybe taking it easy for the next few weeks too; there will be a 2 month break after 1000 goes live, anyway, so I should be able to catch up.

Still haven't made that decision about #1000.

I have no clue how to start drawing 997-1000 either ... I'm really no artist, with no real desire/motivation/time to practise and learn at this point, which makes running a webcomic a pretty bad idea, I know ... I hope I can somehow figure it out in a way that I (and you) can live with ;)

Yeah, I'm quite burnt out on this again. I do want to finish it though (and not rush it, either)! The idea is still that it will probably be around 1840-2000 strips total, so we're at least about half done. And hey -- I have almost reached #1000! Not too many webcomics have managed that :)
Nocturne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
I have almost reached #1000! Not too many webcomics have managed that :)

Keep up the good work, ak-ryuu. You're doing well.
Shazbot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever #1000 comes up in a webcomic-related environment it reminds me of 1/0, the existential black-and-white comic that finished with 1000 canonical pages.

That was a good comic, but the art was worse than yours.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No further progress due to too many doctor's appointments.

Will probably have to take some more time off -- hospital appointments next week, further dentist appointments the week after and into October, kinda difficult for me to put my mind to the comic in the days between.

I have some sort of personal deadline, to try and finish 997-999 and at least the pencil sketch for 1000 by the end of October. It doesn't sound like much work and a lot of time, but I'm not too confident right now. But we'll see ...

Remember there will be a 2 month update break after #1000 goes live. I'll probably have depleted my buffer by then so I will need it ;>
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on 1000, kinda stuck there. I need to continue writing scripts (and start drawing 1001 following no later than January), but I just can't seem into it right now, and #1000 is holding me back. I might be regretting some decisions I made about it -- we'll see how it turns out.

Getting a bit worried that I won't manage to get back on track, but so far I've always managed, so why should it be different this time, right? ;)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not fully done with #1000, but a working version is on the server, hopefully I'll get it set up the way I want it in time too.

The original plan was to have a 2 month break after #1000, but I think I'll have to change plans; I have a bunch of medical treatments coming up this year including surgery next month (nothing huge, still irritating), and I'm just not sure I can handle the webcomic at this time. I do want to continue, I just don't know when I can.

I don't have a projected date for when updates will begin again other than "some time later this year"; I want to draw three months of strips first (buffer is currently depleted) as well as make some small changes to the website, but at least through February if not longer I just have other things to deal with first. I could of course go into "Post a comic whenever I have one" mode, but I think taking a break and then resuming a regular schedule is the better choice.

I know #1000 is somewhat of a cliffhanger and not a nice point to break the story for longer than 2 months.

In any case, I'll keep this thread updated with progress. You'll be the first to know when I have a fixed date for the comic to resume :)

And while I'm posting, I want to say thanks to all of you who are still reading, and even more the few of you who are still posting. It means a lot to me to see that characters that I've created are actually interesting enough for others to spend time thinking about for a little while ... if that makes sense :) Thanks!
Shargmike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deserve a break, and your health comes first. I can not speak for the others but I'll be here when you return share your world with us.

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: