Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What games are being played by everyone right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...Mass Effect 1 (which I bought off Steam at the discounted price a while ago but didn't get a chance to play until recently), Assassin's Creed 1 - replaying that, Sim City 4, Final Fantasy Tactics and Baldur's Gate 2.

Ok, it's kind of an alternation thing.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturne wrote:
Let's see...Mass Effect 1 (which I bought off Steam at the discounted price a while ago but didn't get a chance to play until recently), Assassin's Creed 1 - replaying that, Sim City 4, Final Fantasy Tactics and Baldur's Gate 2.

Ok, it's kind of an alternation thing.

BG 2? Want to do a multiplayer run? I've beaten that series so many times I could do it solo as a bard, but it's always fun to play through again.

I didn't like ME or DA, much to the chagrin of my friends (who go for NEW > OLD for pretty much everything)

You getting Civ 5?
Only awerewolf on tuesday

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:

You should go chaos. It's the team all the spiky kids play.

:D

Die vile heretic! I will never submit to your foul treacherous kind!

<.<
>.>

Unless you have cookies.

On another note, just found a website called Gog.com. Sells old games at cheap prices. Very tempted by both Age of Wonders and Baldur's Gate.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only awerewolf on tuesday wrote:
Cthonic Cultist wrote:

You should go chaos. It's the team all the spiky kids play.

:D

Die vile heretic! I will never submit to your foul treacherous kind!

<.<
>.>

Unless you have cookies.

On another note, just found a website called Gog.com. Sells old games at cheap prices. Very tempted by both Age of Wonders and Baldur's Gate.

Ask Slaanesh, he makes the best cookies.

Baldur's Gate is one of the best games of all time. It's worth getting.
Nocturne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
BG 2? Want to do a multiplayer run? I've beaten that series so many times I could do it solo as a bard, but it's always fun to play through again.

I didn't like ME or DA, much to the chagrin of my friends (who go for NEW > OLD for pretty much everything)

You getting Civ 5?

Tempting, but I've got BG2 on another computer I only have access to at the weekends. I may end up transferring the save file onto my laptop and playing it here, but that installation is pretty well modded and I don't have access to my BG1 discs either (which I'd want as part of a conversion mod). I might end up buying it off GOG so I have my own copy at some point. It's so well modded on the other PC that I can't even get into the Temple District, I have to use the CLUA Console to get to areas off of it (and I couldn't be bothered to download new patches or reinstall the game once I'd made it through Chapter 1 - and yeah, I know there's a mod out there to skip that chapter).

Civ 5 is something I'd probably skip for a while as I never really got into Civ 4. If I do buy it, it won't be for a while. I am still playing and enjoying Colonization (the original, not the Civ 4 expansion) and Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire.
Only awerewolf on tuesday

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
Ask Slaanesh, he makes the best cookies.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want his cookies. In fact of all the chaos gods I'd probably mistrust Khorne's cookies the least.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What games are being played by everyone right now? Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
The point? It's a sandbox game. The point is creation.
Would you elaborate? It sounds to be creation as the "creation" in WarioWare or LittleBigPlanet. Youtube doesn't quite get me in the correct line of thinking.
Cthonic Cultist wrote:

Alpha has a lot more than the demo. There are monsters, minecarts, animals, weapons, armor, ect.
And maybe less bugs and more performance!
My PC can run Doom3 with no sweat (sure it's old but I sure it's pretty much more complicated) but had a few issues with MineCraft. It actually had more than "a few", it basically made the game unplayable.
Cthonic Cultist wrote:
It's pretty much the best game ever.
Is it still for free? That would probably make it win by a long shot in quality/price terms! ;-)
Marmbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AION - Mostly

Abyss : Decent into Darkness - This game is damn scarey, almost too much as it makes me not want to play it as I'll get scared again. Mandatory to play at night with the lights off.

Counter Strike Source / TF2
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What games are being played by everyone right now? Reply with quote

MaxDZ8 wrote:
Would you elaborate? It sounds to be creation as the "creation" in WarioWare or LittleBigPlanet. Youtube doesn't quite get me in the correct line of thinking.

And maybe less bugs and more performance!
My PC can run Doom3 with no sweat (sure it's old but I sure it's pretty much more complicated) but had a few issues with MineCraft. It actually had more than "a few", it basically made the game unplayable.

Is it still for free? That would probably make it win by a long shot in quality/price terms! ;-)

You make things. Floating towers, underwater towns, rollercoasters to the center of the earth, underground gardens, biodomes, statues. whatever.

Yup. Pre-Alpha is called 'creative mode' and it was pretty buggy. Of course, alpha still has bugs and issues, but it's an alpha product... and Notch fixes any big problems that appear within a couple days. What problems did you have? Minecraft is a pretty demanding game, as it renders as far as you can see, which on high settings is REALLY far, something like 1500x1500x1500 blocks.

Creative is still free, yes. There is multiplayer for creative as well, making it more fun.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What games are being played by everyone right now? Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
Minecraft is a pretty demanding game, as it renders as far as you can see, which on high settings is REALLY far, something like 1500x1500x1500 blocks.
To my own surprise, the game is really known for being a bit of a heavyweight. After some search, I even read of a guy who claimed he could make it like 90% more efficient (whatever this means).
I don't know if I should be more horrified or amused by that.
Cthonic Cultist wrote:
What problems did you have?
Stuttering. The game would run smooth as silk and then freeze for 1-2 secs. Repeat.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What games are being played by everyone right now? Reply with quote

MaxDZ8 wrote:
Cthonic Cultist wrote:
Minecraft is a pretty demanding game, as it renders as far as you can see, which on high settings is REALLY far, something like 1500x1500x1500 blocks.
To my own surprise, the game is really known for being a bit of a heavyweight. After some search, I even read of a guy who claimed he could make it like 90% more efficient (whatever this means).
I don't know if I should be more horrified or amused by that.
Cthonic Cultist wrote:
What problems did you have?
Stuttering. The game would run smooth as silk and then freeze for 1-2 secs. Repeat.

Well, if he can make it more efficient he should talk to Notch. If not, then he's just bragging.

Stuttering? Is this when you just start a game up, or after it's been running for a while?
You see, it doesn't completely preload everything when you get into the game. It's still loading stuff a fair distance out that you can't even see. Give it a bit of time, it stops.

Sometimes it does that on night/day transitions, but only for really low end computers like mine.

Try it again. Let the game run for about 5 minutes, shall we say. It should get the jitters out of the loading.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
Well, if he can make it more efficient he should talk to Notch. If not, then he's just bragging.
I don't think he was just bragging. Maybe he was over-confident, or maybe just too optimistic. Notch himself was a Mr. Nobody up to a couple of months ago. What we have to learn from this is to not underestimate each individual.
Cthonic Cultist wrote:
Stuttering? Is this when you just start a game up, or after it's been running for a while?
On startup, it is slow. After a few seconds, it becomes smooth as silk as long as I stand still. When I started moving, after say 10 seconds, it starts showing the above behavior. It doesn't go away with time (not that I've tortured myself for more than 10 min). I speculate that the hiccup is a consequence of loading the next visible chunk(s).

If you want you can tell him. I've had my fair share of blocky graphics in the past and no, I am not going to play this anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: