Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advertising....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Advertising.... Reply with quote

Yup, I always said I'll try to avoid putting graphical ads on the site, but now there's Project Wonderful, and I like their system, so...

... there are now two small graphical ads on every comic (archive) page, except on the front page (i.e. http://www.shd-wk.com/ or http://shd.khrysh.net/).

I'm trying to keep the front page completely ad-free. It is tempting though to put those ads there, too.

Comments, opinions?
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I don't care. If it makes you money thats good, but it's not important to me. Go 'head.
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's not too much advertising. They are small after all and don't disturb the reading experience. Running an independent web comic usually doesn't bring you bags full of gold, so a bit revenue should be nice to have.

And it's quite nice to keep the frontpage completely add free. It might discourage people from advertising at shd-wk, but that's their loss I guess. Add free front page makes a good first impression (not that I'm completely against front page adds, but I just like it better this way).
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the adbox to the forum too, only for unregistered users (or users that are not logged in) though. Maybe that gets more of the lurkers to register ;P

I will probably start a poll in the new year about whether I should put the adbox on the front page of the comic too. I'm still undecided, I know I always said I wanted to keep the site as ad-free as possible, but... income from ads means I have money to run ads myself, which means I could possibly find new readers...
josh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my site was kinda of a money-hole, so we moved to google ads and then project wonderful ads(thats how i found this site). But all and all the money does help the upkeep and soon we'll start advertising on other sites, to get a more open fan base instead of the "inside joke" one we have right now. And all it comes down to, is the fans and i would like more fans just like every other artist.
Kriegel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like a BIG, BOLD ad. And besides, it's your site.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did add another ad box last week or so, but that won't offset the bandwidth cost -- I just had to order another 10 gigs of traffic allowance (what is the right expression anyway? I'm not ordering 10 gigs of traffic, but it's not 10 gigs of bandwidth either, or is it?), as the site will reach 40 gigs of traffic this month. That's quite a lot! Of course some of it is due to all the new readers reading through the archives. (If you're one of them and reading this, Hello! Consider joining this forum? ;))

But yeah, what was my little web project 3.5 years ago is slowly (not so slowly, actually) turning into a costly and time-consuming hobby :) I still love doing it, though. (But I should probably stop advertising for a while...)
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd drop a quick comment, since I was bored all day and ended up prowling around multiple web comics (The Outer Circle's guest strips = links galore hehe)

Anywho, I know how you feel about ads on the front page, but when I get bored I start analyzing the site design of websites I'm flicking through and I noticed that pretty much every web comic has multiple Project Wonderful adds on their front page or around their blog entries now, and I have to say I didn't find any of them distracting or annoying at all. Some of them I think actually compliment the site design, like the Gone With The Blastwave ad over at Dueling Analogs.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I don't think many people would mind if you did put ads on the front page, and I don't think it would really put off new readers or anything either, since ads tend to be plastered across every page in existence now anyway ;)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I don't think many people would mind if you did put ads on the front page, and I don't think it would really put off new readers or anything either, since ads tend to be plastered across every page in existence now anyway ;)

Yeah, I know. It's more a personal thing at this point ;) Besides, the current design doesn't really lend itself to ads -- I'd have to redesign. And I still don't know if I want to do that (see the thread about it somewhere here ;)).

Besides, if I had ads on the front page too, it wouldn't make that much difference to the pageviews for ProjectWonderful -- and at the moment, the ads in the archives don't get a lot of advertisers. It used to be much better, but it seems that currently advertisers either go for the really huge sites or for the really small ones. I have another website with less than 1/20 of the pageviews that this one has, it's a non-webcomic related forum in German -- and still it attracts more advertisers than SHD-WK. ProjectWonderful dynamics are hard to figure out :)

But yeah. The fact that I'm pretty much sure that putting ads on the front page wouldn't really lead to an increase in advertising revenue, plus the fact that the ProjectWonderful code doesn't currently validate properly (they're working on it, they say -- but I absolutely want my front page to validate as XHTML Strict), means that I'm not putting ads on the front page at this time ...

Thanks a lot for the comment! To hear others' opinions about those matters is extremely helpful in making all those little decisions involved in running a webcomic ;)

(I use smilies too much, don't I? Good thing they're at least ascii-only and not graphical ones ....)
DaVince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a bit short on cash, ads wouldn't be that big of a problem, especially if they're ads that are relevant to the topic, like Google's AdSense does.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you haven't yet, take the time to visit the current advertisers. They're worth it :) (Most advertisers on ProjectWonderful are webcomics, anyway :))
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
I just had to order another 10 gigs of monthly traffic, as the site will reach 40 gigs of traffic this month. That's quite a lot!

Quoting myself here ... did I really say that just one month ago? Well, this month the site went over 70 gigs (it was at 70 two days ago, that is -- maybe it actually reached 80). Maybe it was a bad idea to spend my birthday money on advertising? :) Haven't figured out yet what to do about the bandwidth situation, I emailed my provider per their request but then they didn't reply back, and today is a holiday so I won't hear anything before Wednesday anyway. Heh. It does make me feel proud though to be able to attract that much traffic. Of course every person reading the whole archives means another 30-or-so megabytes :)

So at this point, welcome to any new readers, and a special welcome to those who joined us around my birthday (during the "dream" week) :)
Darb

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Woah Reply with quote

Haven't been around for a few days! Been way busy with tests but I am giving myself a break. I definetly think that more ads are not a problem. I can understand your apprehension, but I think that when it becomes a viable option that you should go ahead and put ads there. Any help you can moneywise is good! I don't know anything about coding or websites so that should be taken into account too... > >
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Woah Reply with quote

Darb wrote:
I can understand your apprehension, but I think that when it becomes a viable option that you should go ahead and put ads there.

I'm not convinced though that it is a viable option; the current ads that I run pay just enough for me to keep them there, any less and I think it wouldn't be worth it. I just really, really prefer an ad-free front page (and no donate buttons either ;)).

I should get my gear together though and find a solution to the merchandise/t-shirt problem, since I've been getting inquiries every now and then...
DaVince

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would click all of your ads, but even when I turn the ad blocker off for shd-wk they don't show up. Sigh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: