Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming hiatus August/September/October 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Upcoming hiatus August/September/October 2010 Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a thread about it here, so I (and you) don't forget about it. It will be my first break in 7 years of working on this comic, and I really, really need it. I can't promise the comic will be better after I return, but I can try. Until then I may have to rush things a bit -- I have 888 comics done now, and have to get to 920 before I can think about having a break. I like to have at least 2 months buffer so it would be better if I got to 940 first ...

Scripts are mostly done up to 920. I know pretty exactly what happens up to 1000, which I hope I can manage to make look really great as that's probably the roundest number I'll ever reach! I may or may not take another break at 1000, but if I do, it will end on a cliffhanger. (The upcoming break after 920 won't, don't worry :))

Currently I'm thinking that I want to end the comic either on strip #2000, or maybe on #1840 so that the upcoming break would be exactly at the half-time point. Not sure if I can fit the remaining story into just another 920 or 1080 strips though ... I wish I had the time and the energy to just sit down and write *all* the scripts. Heh. Maybe after that three month break :)

Anyway, I'll keep you informed, and the comic *will* be back after the three months break. And I'll stay around on the forums anyway -- in fact, I was thinking that I could make a weekly "archives" post in the Story forum, starting from the beginning of the comic and covering several comics each week, to finally cover the early years from before we had a forum. Maybe there's still something to discuss about the old ones, right?
Nocturne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcoming hiatus August/September/October 2010 Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
And I'll stay around on the forums anyway -- in fact, I was thinking that I could make a weekly "archives" post in the Story forum, starting from the beginning of the comic and covering several comics each week, to finally cover the early years from before we had a forum. Maybe there's still something to discuss about the old ones, right?

Director's cut commentary moment?

You do deserve the break, so yeah, enjoy it.
Clickbeetle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Got a little idea you might like, or you might not... but might as well put it out there.

I follow another comic called Erfworld (www.erfworld.com) and they do sort of a mixed comic/text format over there. The key scenes in the story are portrayed in traditional comic form, and in between comics they fill in some of the gaps with text-only updates written more like a short chapter in a novel.

Such a format might be worth considering for SHD-WK after the hiatus is over, considering that you've been talking about needing to speed up the story and really think about what scenes are necessary. You could just draw the important scenes and fill in some of the background scenes with text updates. Additionally, you could do this for those "wall of text" comics where the art is pretty much just there for the sake of having art, and what's really important is what is being said.

It's sort of a compromise between trimming the story and keeping all the character development/world-building details in. Just something to think about as you take your break and start working on building up your buffer again. Don't stress yourself out too much.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clickbeetle wrote:
The key scenes in the story are portrayed in traditional comic form, and in between comics they fill in some of the gaps with text-only updates written more like a short chapter in a novel.

I've been thinking about that actually, and it seems quite suited for SHD-WK ... but I think I don't want to switch the format halfway through the story, if I can avoid it.

That said, if for some reason things get to the point where I can't draw anymore some day, I'll definitely switch to text-only before I quit :) It's a good idea anyway, and I'll probably give it some more thought during the break (where I hope I'll find the time and energy to give some thought to a bunch of things about the comic ...)
Only awerewolf on tuesday

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Erfworld too, and I have to say I don't like the text updates, in fact I've given up reading them. I'm fairly certain they'd work better for Spiky than Erfworld, but I'd still advise against using them unless you absolutely have to to continue.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only awerewolf on tuesday wrote:
I'd still advise against using them unless you absolutely have to to continue.

Yeah, as long as I can draw, I'll draw; and if it comes to the point where I'd say "now I can't draw anymore" I probably can't write anymore either ;> But I'm still planning to finish the comic long before it gets to that point ;) (And it will still be another few years -- I think we're at about the halfway point, my best guess is still that the story will be 1840 or 2000 strips long ;))
Clickbeetle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah don't do it if you can still draw without a problem, but just if things get too overwhelming.

Only awerewolf on tuesday wrote:
I read Erfworld too, and I have to say I don't like the text updates, in fact I've given up reading them.

Huh, I actually like them; it gives you a deeper insight into the way the characters think, and the writing is very good. But then I've always been a heavy reader; I typically go through about 2 novels a month, so yeah... different people prefer different storytelling media.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I said I'll keep you informed, so I will ... it's not looking so great right now. The break starts after comic #920, and I'm currently up to #908, and I have been rather quite sick again recently, so I'm struggling to even make it to the planned break.

Then during those three months, I'm going to have to refill my buffers instead of taking my break ;> But I'll worry about that if I even make it there.

Still not planning to give up though, but I'll probably end up disappointing you if not in terms of update schedule, then at least in terms of quality ...
Negation

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wishing here that you will be able to finish the comic properly and tell the story until the end. Don't die of exhaustion in the meantime.
Nocturne

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
Don't die of exhaustion in the meantime.

I second this. Please take pity on us and not leave us with an unfinished story.

Just do your best, ak-ryuu.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally finished and uploaded #920, the last strip before the break.

I'll take a much needed break now until the end of August, during which I won't do more about the comic than maybe write a few scripts ... and after that I'll have two months to somehow refill my buffers. In an ideal world, I'd spend my break recharging my creative batteries and working on my art (if you can even call it that), and return with an improved comic. In reality, that's not going to happen and the comic will likely look the same as ever (or at least I hope I'll manage at least that :)).

But I'm glad I can stop thinking about it for a bit now ...
adDiyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the break will give as much energy back as possible. I do know how it feels, if you are running on reserve for a longer period.

I am very much looking forward to your return and with you the ongoing of the comic.

And yes it definitly is art: To devise a story like that is art.
To bring the story to paper (script) is art.
And finally to draw the panels is art. (You wouldn't want to see me trying that.)

I enjoyed the comic up to now and will enjoy it as soon as you have returned, whenever you feel recharged enough...

My best wishes

Jakob
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, adDiyn :)

Only 6 comics left before the break ... which also means that the story is about half over now. (Which also means it will still take almost forever to reach the end :))
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I said I'd keep you updated in this thread ... with only 3 comics left before the break, the hiatus is right around the corner.

I will keep up the regular Tuesday/Friday posts in the Story thread, adding threads for the part of the archives that are older than the forums. If my calculations are correct, that's 14 comics twice a week. I'll hope you'll join me there to discuss, if there's anything left to discuss about those old strips ;)

After the break, my situation with the comic will not be better than before. I *will* have a new comic online at the beginning of November, and I *will* continue the story; but I can't guarantee there won't be further breaks, or that I can keep up the 2 comics per week schedule. I have surgery coming up (don't have the date yet, probably towards the end of the hiatus) which is throwing yet another wrench in my plans, and I have no idea how long recovery will take and when things will hopefully get better, so ... I'll just keep doing the best I can, and keep hoping you'll continue to read and go through the story with me, because that's what makes it worth writing it :)
LadyAxum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, we will keep reading. I hope your surgery goes well. take care of yourself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: