Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning strike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Trouble?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Lightning strike Reply with quote

Hi folks

I won't be online much in the next few days, and I may not be able to keep the comic updates running smoothly. Lightning struck my house today, I'm mostly fine and the house is too, but it killed almost all electronics (two computers, one monitor, printer, scanner, graphics tablet, internet router, everything ...), despite UPS and surge protectors. No idea how long it will take to fix or replace, no idea if my harddrives are still intact (I have some backups, but not too recent and not of everything ....)

Well, wish me luck. I'll try to get a message up on the website too but I'm not sure if I remember the necessary passwords to do that ;)

Still in a bit of a shock too, I was sitting right at the computer when it happened and it happened very suddenly. I think I'm half deaf from the BANG though ... At least I didn't get zapped!
Nocturne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Hope that doesn't turn out too expensively for you. :/
Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a hell of a thing. I'm glad you weren't hurt, at least, considering how close you were to the computer when it happened.

Honestly, if this lightning zorch means you need to take a hiatus and reconstruct everything you lost, I don't think any of us would blame you. I certainly wouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fathom wrote:
Honestly, if this lightning zorch means you need to take a hiatus and reconstruct everything you lost, I don't think any of us would blame you. I certainly wouldn't.

I may have been lucky with the computer too. I got my computer back just a few minutes ago, and while the PSU, the motherboard and all memory were fried (now replaced), the HDs/data appear to be OK. I'll know for sure later after I reinstalled the OS ....

It will probably be about two weeks before I get my new monitor, but I can work with the spare one in the meantime, and I have no idea yet on when I'll have a suitable scanner again, but I have enough scanned comics on my HD that I can assemble and letter etc. in the meantime, so there shouldn't be any noticeable break in the comic, if the HDs are indeed 100% OK.

My hearing seems to be back to normal too, and the shock has somewhat lessened. For all of Wednesday, if I would sit still for a moment my brain would immediately replay the whole scenario over and over again, so I was really struggling to keep myself occupied with stuff, but that seems to be better now, luckily ;) I just hope that never, ever happens again, but in any case, I'll spend my weekend getting all my backups up to date! (Bought a nice new external 1 TB harddrive for additional backups, too :))

And with that, I'll be unreachable for at least the next few hours, until my box is up and running again ....
Rainaari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww...

well, good luck from me, too!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my new monitor, that will take a while getting used to ...

... also got a new power supply for my printer/scanner/copier, but it's still dead. Damn. Anyone want to recommend one, preferably one that uses hp 15 black ink? Without a scanner, I'm pretty much unable to continue with the comic, and I've had thoughts about quitting anyway, with all the problems and such ... I've had a HP PSC 750 for years and have been very happy with that, but apparently there's no printer/scanner/copier of comparable quality out there anymore. And of course I have a lot of No. 15 black ink left, too ... And I'd like to stick with HP, as that's what I'm used to. Changing the scanner means changing the comic workflow anyway, so it's bad enough as it is ... it was difficult enough even changing from W2k to WXP because the scanner drivers changed significantly ;>

Anyway, sorry for rambling, just thought I'd keep you all updated.
Only awerewolf on tuesday

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I'm not great for scanner advice, but I don't want to see the comic stop, so I'll try and give encouragement.

Don't stop the comic! Keep up the great work!

Yeah, so not great encouragement, but it's half two in the morning where I'm from, so I'm too tired to come up with anything better. :P
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only awerewolf on tuesday wrote:

Yeah, I'm trying. Unfortunately, last night my trackball broke, so now I can't do pretty much anything else either until the replacement arrives. And I only have two weeks of comics left. This is getting really difficult :/
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only awerewolf on tuesday wrote:
Unfortunately I'm not great for scanner advice, but I don't want to see the comic stop, so I'll try and give encouragement.

Yeah, so not great encouragement, but it's half two in the morning where I'm from, so I'm too tired to come up with anything better. :P

I'm joining this and hoping to see proper ending of the comic. It's hard work I bet and I find really cool that you have been doing it for so long without missing a single update. So keep up the good work and I really hope to see the full story.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just give the details here instead of on the main page for the few people who actually want to read them ...
* Secured an identical replacement scanner/printer. Tried to install that tonight. Sadly, that thing is no-go for various reasons.
* Installed a very cheap, very crappy scanner/printer instead that I'll just have to make do with somehow for now. It put 400 megs worth of software/drivers on my machine that I couldn't choose not to install, and on top of that it shows in the "safely remove hardware" icon. How annoying. And it can't even do half the things I need.
* Still no replacement trackball.
* One week of buffer left.

I may just have to upload unfinished comics with no backgrounds, if I manage at least that much. Sucks though. I know the story isn't really carrying it anymore either, I've had trouble to keep up with things for a while now, I really really do want to finish it (and by that I don't mean "by force" next week), but I'm just not so confident anymore that I'll get it out of this hole. Sorry about that, I guess. :/
Nocturne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, remember you can take a brief hiatus if you need to. Take a short break from updating to gather the stuff you need, get a bit better (because pressure isn't going to help), build up the buffer a bit once you're in a better state to do so and provide a date when you'll get back to updating and try to stick to it. ;)

There are still people reading the comic and they'll stay if they want to see what happens and know when to come back to find out what's happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Trouble? All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: