Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My turn! Hello everybody!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: My turn! Hello everybody! Reply with quote

I want to thank Aran for the effort in thinking and making this comic.
I am not a big fan of webcomics I have to say, and I think I've never been. I used to buy some paper comics till a couple of months ago but I somewhat lost the interest in them.

About two months ago my computer died. Again.
I somehow tried to work using a shitty netbook (don't buy SSD-based netbooks!) but it was really good for nothing but surfing. Lost in a sea of unusefulness, I started crawling the web for something to fill my time while I was waiting for the components I needed (it took a whopping 3 weeks).

I found sort of heartening that I am not the only one fighting against failing hardware and discharges. Many thanks for that as well.

In this roughtly-a-month SHD-WK has been a real pleasure. I don't know what made the trick for me. I had the idea that, lacking EXPLOSIONS, it wouldn't have lasted. Instead, I kept reading and reading and I admit that the story is intriguing. I suppose that I like the way this comic manages to turn an "ordinary" life story into something worth reading (ok, maybe "ordinary" is stretching it, but considering the webcomic standard this keeps quite a low profile).
I will eagerly wait for the next strip.
The current update rate is something manageable for me. I don't think I could spend more time than the one I am managing to find now.

It will take me some days to read the forums. In the meanwhile, I've committed myself to vote for SHD-WK on a daily basis. I am rather surprised it's ranked only with 159 votes: considering that I probably did at least a 10-15% of that amount, I suppose that something is going really wrong or that alot of you are sitting behind internet provider's gateways. Anyway, this sucks a bit...

Uh-oh. Running out of my morning break, so have a nice day!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My turn! Hello everybody! Reply with quote

Hi MaxDZ8,

welcome to the forums!

MaxDZ8 wrote:
I want to thank Aran for the effort in thinking and making this comic.

MaxDZ8 wrote:
I suppose that I like the way this comic manages to turn an "ordinary" life story into something worth reading (ok, maybe "ordinary" is stretching it, but considering the webcomic standard this keeps quite a low profile).

I think I'm glad about the low profile now, actually. It was on the brink of becoming fairly well-known back when I managed to update 4 times a week for a few years, but I lost a lot of readers when I had to cut back.

MaxDZ8 wrote:
In the meanwhile, I've committed myself to vote for SHD-WK on a daily basis. I am rather surprised it's ranked only with 159 votes: considering that I probably did at least a 10-15% of that amount, I suppose that something is going really wrong or that alot of you are sitting behind internet provider's gateways. Anyway, this sucks a bit...

It used to be always in the top 30 (sometimes top 20) on both bCx and TWC, but when most readers stopped (see above), so did the votes, and when it began frustrating me too much, I stopped begging for votes all the time and removed the prominent vote buttons from the website, and stopped voting myself, too. Actually I'm surprised that with all that, it's still got 159 votes. Thanks to all of you who voted!

I know from the "how did you find this comic" thread that some readers actually did find the comic via top list (I assume though that was mostly when it was much higher in the lists than it is now ;)), so yeah, it's a pity ...
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forums. It's always great when more fans of the comic pop in and say hello.

I read a bunch (can't really remember how many, maybe 20-30) web comics and SHD-WK is one of the top ones for me. I just should remember to vote more often than on those days that it updates...
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My turn! Hello everybody! Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
I think I'm glad about the low profile now, actually. It was on the brink of becoming fairly well-known back when I managed to update 4 times a week for a few years, but I lost a lot of readers when I had to cut back.

It used to be always in the top 30 (sometimes top 20) on both bCx and TWC, but when most readers stopped (see above), so did the votes, and when it began frustrating me too much, I stopped begging for votes all the time and removed the prominent vote buttons from the website, and stopped voting myself, too. Actually I'm surprised that with all that, it's still got 159 votes. Thanks to all of you who voted!

I know from the "how did you find this comic" thread that some readers actually did find the comic via top list (I assume though that was mostly when it was much higher in the lists than it is now ;)), so yeah, it's a pity ...
I suppose this is just how the thing goes in general. While I can feel the charm of some competition the thing carries you only so far. If you don't really have any interest in ranking anymore, maybe I can leave my intention? Your choice really... the comic is so far the top that I'm not well aware what could I do more than that, and by sure I am not doing much.
Negation wrote:
I read a bunch (can't really remember how many, maybe 20-30) web comics and SHD-WK is one of the top ones for me. I just should remember to vote more often than on those days that it updates...
I hope they're mostly based on weekly updates, this would make up a totally unmanageable amount of time for me. While a few clicks don't matter, they quickly build up. It's a few months I don't even read my work-related magazines and I even let down my paper-based comics.
Maybe I need a break.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My turn! Hello everybody! Reply with quote

MaxDZ8 wrote:
If you don't really have any interest in ranking anymore, maybe I can leave my intention? Your choice really... the comic is so far the top that I'm not well aware what could I do more than that, and by sure I am not doing much.

I don't really know. I'm happy that people still vote, even though I'm not begging for votes anymore and the voting links aren't very prominent (and the voting incentive is still the winter picture ;)). At the same time I feel bad that I haven't been voting myself anymore for quite a while now. The main reason I removed the ranking/vote buttons was that I didn't want to be reminded all the time that because I can't update near-daily anymore, it dropped from Top 30 to barely Top 100.

MaxDZ8 wrote:
I hope they're mostly based on weekly updates, this would make up a totally unmanageable amount of time for me.

When I still followed a lot of webcomics (I don't anymore ... it does take time), Piperka helped a lot :)
Negation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My turn! Hello everybody! Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
MaxDZ8 wrote:
I hope they're mostly based on weekly updates, this would make up a totally unmanageable amount of time for me.

When I still followed a lot of webcomics (I don't anymore ... it does take time), Piperka helped a lot :)

Indeed, reading them does take time. I'm using Piperka to keep track of which comics I have read and usually catch up with them once a week or so. Some of them update daily or almost daily, while some others update only few times a year.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's sort of weird. I'll keep clicking as long as I remeber my intention anyway. It worked ok up to now so there's little reason to change for the time being.

Have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: