Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of SHD-WK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do if I can't keep running SHD-WK the way it runs now?
Keep up the quality, go back to 2 updates per week.
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Keep the update schedule, draw stick figures if you must.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Whatever, I don't really care, I don't have an opinion.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (please specify in thread).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: The future of SHD-WK Reply with quote

Hi folks,
those who know me a bit better will be aware of my ongoing health problems ... things have been getting somewhat worse over the past few months, and I'm currently having a hard time keeping up with the comic. I'm still trying, and the last thing I want to do is quit completely, but if things don't get better soon I might have to switch back to the old Tuesday/Friday updates schedule. (Which I would hate to do, because it ruins the pacing and the story really progresses too slowly like that.)

This is just an early heads-up for now, and a poll ... I'm interested to hear if you'd prefer that I keep up the 4-per-week updates even if it means I may have to reduce the quality ("What quality?" I hear you say, shut up, I know I'm not the greatest artist ;P), like not doing backgrounds anymore or copying or simplifying panels -- or if I should strive to keep up the quality, even if it means lowering the update frequency.

I just don't really know what to do. I wish I could just continue like I did for the past 4 years, but at the moment it's really difficult.
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think above all else your health should definitely take priority. If you can't stick the 4-day update schedule then you should really cut down if you have to, we'll understand.
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second chaos-drone here. Your health should take priority here. Out of those options above, I would prefer that you keep the quality and update a bit less often.
TheOtherDibbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what they said. *points up*

There are other comics I read that have had to undergo major changes like that due to RL issues on behalf of the cartoonist. Your health and RL issues come first and any fan who pushes you to put the comic first and risk hurting yourself is not really a fan. I personally wouldn't care if you drop the update schedule to once a week, or a bunch of pages once a month - it all comes down to what you can actually manage. I hope you don't end up having to drop the comic entirely, but if that becomes the only viable alternative then I won't hold it against you. It's not like we pay you for the comic or anything. :)
Rainaari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot give a recommendation regarding your health problems, you should know best what to do.
Regarding the comics, I'd vote for 2 updates a week with the same quality of artwork and story.
Kriegel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your health, or regain it, whichever is more accurate. Don't let things get in the way of that.
Warmaster Grael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't draw awesome comics if you're dead! that wouldn't be fun for anybody! (especially you!) if need be, take time off, have a rest or 2. its amazing what a stress-free week can do for your health. Likewise, updates need not be frequent, just nicely done :D Rest up!
(oh yeah, don't forget the chicken soup!)
Rathnier Nithvolr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Keep your health, buddy! WE LOVE YOUR COMICS! Reply with quote

Hey man! Don't ruin your health. That's the last thing any of us want you to do. Keep it up! Your comics totally rock!

http://sabletears.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer everybody (and to say hi to Rathnier. Hi Rathnier!), yeah, of course my health takes precedence over the comic; which is what I'm asking what best to do. See, if I slow down to 2 comics a week, the story will progress awfully slowly and it will take me twice as long to finish it (Yes, it will be finished at some point :)) -- which is why I went from 2 to 4 updates back then when I could. If I slow down the updates, it may well end up not being temporary, but permanent. But I'm considering that option more and more (if I do it, it would probably be from the start of April).

Of course it also feels a bit like cheating on my Never-missed-an-update track record ... but it isn't really, right? :>
dragonbunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course your health comes first! (Sorry to hear that you are not well, btw!)

Just out of curiosity: Why is it either two or four times a week? Couldn't you reduce it to three times, as a golden middle path? nice for us impatient readers, better for your health ;p
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonbunny wrote:
Just out of curiosity: Why is it either two or four times a week? Couldn't you reduce it to three times, as a golden middle path? nice for us impatient readers, better for your health ;p

I could but it would be too confusing for me or for some of the old-time readers ;P The original update schedule was Tuesday/Friday, and I'd rather go back to that than invent yet another schedule :) I wouldn't want to do a Mon/Wed/Fri schedule like most webcomics do (It would mean that I have to handle an update on Sunday night, and I like to have my weekends off), and any other 3-per-week schedule wouldn't spread the comics out evenly enough. Oh, and I hate uneven numbers ;)
Kriegel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:

Of course it also feels a bit like cheating on my Never-missed-an-update track record ... but it isn't really, right? :>

Nope. If you reduce the number of updates intentionally, then you can't be accused of missing an update that was not to take place.
Negation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriegel wrote:
ak-ryuu wrote:

Nope. If you reduce the number of updates intentionally, then you can't be accused of missing an update that was not to take place.

Especially since you started with two updates a week instead of current four. If anything, you're ahead of what you planned originally.
TheOtherDibbler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite webcomics had to drop from a seven-days-per week update schedule to once a week because of real-life issues on behalf of the creator, sure it slowed the pace down a whole lot, but anyone who didn't like reading it that way could choose to simply come back once a month or whenever and read several pages at once. You could do the same, drop to two pages a week, and remind people that if they find the story moves too slowly taken that way they can simply come back every couple of weeks and read several pages at once. After all, it'll still be the same story told in the same number of pages, there'll just be more time passing between each update.

And someone mentioned taking a week or two off altogether just to de-stress - I second this motion. Again, some of my favourite webcomic artists have done this on occasion, sometimes posting filler in the place of actual comic updates, sometimes not. If you need a break, take one, we'll all still be here when shd-wk returns - just mention beforehand that you're not going to be updating for a week or however long you decide on, so we know what's going on. :)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
And someone mentioned taking a week or two off altogether just to de-stress - I second this motion.

I've been taking weeks off all the time in the past few months though -- one of the advantages of having a big buffer, I can do that without anyone even noticing ;P The problem is that this isn't enough currently, and the buffer is worn down quite a bit now, so the only options really seem to be dropping the quality by a lot, or dropping the update frequency.

I have comics in a half-finished state until almost the end of March -- I'm currently thinking of starting a 2/week schedule in April. I'll try to take the next couple of weeks slowly, hoping that with the rest of my buffer I can keep the 4/week schedule until the end of March and then gradually rebuild the buffer starting from April. This sounds difficult enough to me at the moment :/

If things go better again at some point, I'll probably just keep working ahead as much as I possibly can while sticking to the 2/week schedule. If I find at some point that I have 2 years worth of buffer, I can then unload them all at once, or something ;P

Well, I might still change my mind over the next few weeks, but that's what I'm currently thinking. Cutting the speed at which I can progress the story in half really makes me sad, though. And it will take twice as long now to finish the story ... Not that I want to finish it all that soon, but I do want to finish it in the foreseeable future. (And yeah, I have a follow-up project planned already too. That one won't have a fixed schedule though ;P)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: