Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer vacation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Summer vacation Reply with quote

Hi!
Like I have mentioned in the news posts a couple of times, I'm planning to take a break in August and not draw any new strips for a month. Don't worry, the comic will update -- I'll do my best to have enough buffer by then so I can safely take the month off.

But what I wanted to post about ... I am thinking of not posting new Spiky's links and news postings during the month of August, either. Do you think this is a good idea? Bad idea? Can you survive without Spiky's links for a month? (It's not that I don't have enough links ... I have a huge list of links. But it's still a couple of minutes per day to decide on one, check if it still exists, write a text about it .... It all sums up.)

I'm feeling a bit burnt out with comic-related work at this time, and feel that a creative break can only be a good thing. There'll be enough comic-related work left to do in August (trying to draw a buffer of Spiky's World strips, posting on the forums, stuff like that), and SHD-WK will definitely keep updating throughout my vacation.

I'm also wondering if I can put Spiky's World on hold during August ... I have posted about that in the Spiky's World thread.

So, uhm.... This is the thread where you can voice your protest now, I guess, and if enough of you say "nooooo! We need our news posts and Spiky's links!", then maybe I'll reconsider :)
Nocturne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering you always seem to use the news posts to post about things happening to you around the time you post...it's probably fair to say you should get a break from updating the news posts too. ;)

Spiky links would be nice, though...it was one of the things that appealed to me as I was reading through the archive, if you were to keep those up though, maybe you could reduce the workload by not having a Spiky link on 1 or 2 days of each week rather than all 4 while you're on holiday...I have no idea how you were able to accumulate such a stockpile of links, anyway. :P
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturne wrote:
I have no idea how you were able to accumulate such a stockpile of links, anyway. :P

I surf the web a lot ... and whenever I chance upon something interesting, it ends up in my list. Easy as that :) The list is horribly unorganized though, and there's good stuff and not-so-good stuff in there. Sometimes I try to have a theme for a week's spikylinks, like this week I tried to have images, sort of... And relatively early on, I started having Flash Game Fridays.

Hmhm. Or maybe I'll make it a spikylink of the week, during August. I was also considering trying to run the ads on the main page again during that month, to see if it makes much of a difference (I still don't really want ads on my front page) ... haven't decided yet, though. But if I do that, many of the advertisers have websites that are definitely worth a visit. I found some good webcomics like that :)
Nocturne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do with adverts last time...I remember reading in the news posts that you didn't want any ads originally, but sine I've only been reading the comic for the last few weeks, I don't know what the old design for the site, adverts etc was.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturne wrote:
What did you do with adverts last time...I remember reading in the news posts that you didn't want any ads originally, but sine I've only been reading the comic for the last few weeks, I don't know what the old design for the site, adverts etc was.

I have the ads on all of the archive pages. Just not on the main page (when you go straight to http://www.shd-wk.com/). I would surely get more revenue if I had the ads on the main page too, but probably not that much more that I would consider it to be worth it ...
Nocturne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah. I've only really been reading through the archive so I hadn't noticed that. Those ads don't seem to bring in a lot of revenue unless you have a really popular webcomic...something like Questionable Content gets $5.30 and most other comics seem to be lucky to get $1 or $2. If you wanted to get a revenue out of it you'd probably have to go with the traditional flashing banner adverts. Ugh.

You could also help people find other good webcomics by setting up a Links section with some recommendations somewhere....
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturne wrote:
You could also help people find other good webcomics by setting up a Links section with some recommendations somewhere....

There is one in this forum :) (Adding a section for webcomic links to the website is somewhere on my to-do list, too ...)
Kriegel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't usually click on the Spiky's links anyway. *runs away*
Nocturne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's probably just me that clicks on some of them. ;P
Rainaari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, hard to decide. But I think its better for you not to get burned out over Spiky therefore be able to run this strip at a high quality for a longer time. Also I might be offline Partly during August so I cant read anyway ,)

I read (and pass on...) most Spikylinks but I think I can do without one for a while.

Just my thoughts...
tbowl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man. Take a break. Your comic needs to be around for at least... 50 more years..... so.. you'll need a break or two. ;)

I think as long as you keep reccomending another site every once in a while, it is all good. I think people NEED sites to be recommended to them, because it is so dang hard to find comics inline with what people like. I think that is why the site plugging is actually gaining in popularity with a review attached. I do it on my site too (sites I recommend) I actually get lots of hits in there! Course, does anyone link back to me... hardly ever.

Oh well! Anyway. Yea.... take a break dude, thats what being a comicker and having your buffer is all about. Being able to take breaks. Unlike real life.

Wouldn't it be awesome to do a ton of buffer work at your job, then take 2 months off? LOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let comics become our real life jobs everyone. :( :( :( PLEASE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: