Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technology?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daigerus

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Technology? Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but the world of Vincent and Spiky seems a bit anachronistic.

I guess the first indicator was this: http://shd-wk.com/index.php?strip_id=106. Edgar wearing sunglasses and a sleeveless denim jacket with pockets; the kilt was understandable. Not sure if this indicates the invention of modern pants, but regardless of his clothes origin, he still stands out. Makes one wonder where he got those clothes in the first place.

The next and maybe last indicator was this: http://shd-wk.com/index.php?strip_id=249 and http://shd-wk.com/index.php?strip_id=250. It shakes one's suspension of disbelief when you get to see all these weird clothes he's wearing. Do they have a clothes store that stocks globally? At least we know Edgar's clothing isn't all that uncommon.

I'm probably looking too deeply into this, but it bothered me a bit since I read the whole archive in one day.
Negation

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought that the world where the comic happens isn't ours, thus some things can be quite a bit different (like dragons and curses to begin with).

Edgar, being a friend of dragons who are capable of flight, has access to much bigger area of the world than any other character in the comic (save for other dragons of course). This could explain why he has chosen to wear something that is completely different to clothes up north.

And baron on the other hand has money and resources to get some clothes custom made. Could be that he just instructed the tailor to make a set of as silly and humiliating costumes as possible ;)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Technology? Reply with quote

Daigerus wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but the world of Vincent and Spiky seems a bit anachronistic.

It is, on purpose. It's mostly a serious comic, but with the 4-panel strip format, it can't quite deny its relationship to gag comics, I guess.

It's mostly noticeable with clothing (just look at the stuff Rattie is wearing ;P), but partly also in the way they talk or act, and Spiky at least has knowledge of some other worlds/dimensions too, as I remember her talking about fast food at least twice ;)

Daigerus wrote:
I'm probably looking too deeply into this, but it bothered me a bit since I read the whole archive in one day.

Was it really bothersome though? I'm fascinated by how people see the comic very differently; I have gotten responses from "not funny at all" to "absolutely hilarious". While the story itself is definitely not meant to be all that funny (despite the inherent fun factor of having a cursed knight with no weapon who should be killing a dragon to break the curse, and a smartypants dragon sidekick...), I don't resist an opportunity to make a stupid joke if I find one ;P

So, hmm ... I guess the comic is giving mixed signals in a way :)
Kriegel

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that. I take it for granted. So it's mostly medieval, but what's the problem with talking about, say, fast food? :)
imreader

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the last two references from games have costumes from TV shows and games (?). I didn't really put much store in those.

And when it comes to what Spiky says, I don't really build my image of the world around what she says, as quite often she's the comic relief.
roofpig

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in mostly-serious fantasy comics like Inverloch or Earthsong, the anachronistic aspect could be damaging, but I think it works for SHD-WK. As was previously stated, it is a mixture of fantasy and gag comic structure, and you sort of have to readjust your thinking to accept it, but once you do it's a whole lot of fun.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
and Spiky at least has knowledge of some other worlds/dimensions too, as I remember her talking about fast food at least twice ;)
They're among us!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: