Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to break the curse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainaari

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:

I think it would just require lots of water. Small pond might not be enough, if the dragon decides to evaporate that with flames.

I'm not so sure. you'd just need to get his head unter water permanently. While a dragon can breathe fire, he still needs to breathe conventionally.

Secondly, Flames are not really effective in evaporationg water. If blown from above the surface, most flames would be reflected by the water and would fail in heating it up. Heat transfer would be effective if the flames were blown from below the surface - but the dragon might have to supply an oxidizing agent. No idea how this could work.

Furthermore, the heat capacity of water is quite high, i. E. it takes a lot of energy to heat up water just 1 degree, and evaporating needs extra energy.
Negation wrote:

Of course there's multiple problems like tying up a dragon in the first place ;)

We've learned of that: Whisky ,)
Rainaari

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Jabberwocky Reply with quote

I'm just reminded of a movie: Monthy Pythons^W^W Terry Gilliams Jabberwocky.

A town is terrorized by a beast and our hero is sent to kill it, but somehow screws up. The beast wants to eat him, but when it bows him, it gets speared by the sword (?) of our hero which acciedentally stuck tip up in the ground...

I wonder if this would help Vincent...
Darb

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem there of course is getting the sword there in the first place. I still like my "big rock" plan. Because well its a big rock!
Negation

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainaari wrote:
Negation wrote:

I think it would just require lots of water. Small pond might not be enough, if the dragon decides to evaporate that with flames.

I'm not so sure. you'd just need to get his head unter water permanently. While a dragon can breathe fire, he still needs to breathe conventionally.

Secondly, Flames are not really effective in evaporationg water. If blown from above the surface, most flames would be reflected by the water and would fail in heating it up. Heat transfer would be effective if the flames were blown from below the surface - but the dragon might have to supply an oxidizing agent. No idea how this could work.

Furthermore, the heat capacity of water is quite high, i. E. it takes a lot of energy to heat up water just 1 degree, and evaporating needs extra energy.

Hmm.. that's all true. So as long as Vincent can get the dragon's head under the water, it would work out nicely. And of course at some point the dragon will have strong reflex to breath in, even in under water. After that point I think Vincent doesn't have to worry about the flames anymore.

Rainaari wrote:
Negation wrote:

Of course there's multiple problems like tying up a dragon in the first place ;)

:D So he'll just need a cart or two full of whiskey, some rope and stones for weights. Then he can head up to the mountains and try to find a dragon to have a drinks with ;P
Rainaari

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darb wrote:
The problem there of course is getting the sword there in the first place. I still like my "big rock" plan. Because well its a big rock!

Big rocks.... rock. ,)
Rainaari

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:

:D So he'll just need a cart or two full of whiskey, some rope and stones for weights. Then he can head up to the mountains and try to find a dragon to have a drinks with ;P

Sounds like a plan, doesn't it? ,)
Deteno

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he put a rag in the top of a bottle of whisky, would it be considered a weapon? what if spiky lit it? Molotov Cocktails solve everything >=)
Mostly Harmless!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the dragons would be hurt more by the blatant waste of whiskey than the cocktail itself.
Deteno

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*slaps forhead* I dont know how I forgot that little fact. But still, better than nothing. Oh well, I'm all for the big rock too.
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainaari wrote:
Negation wrote:

Negation wrote:

Thing is though, all of that assumes that you're treating dragonfire like ordinary fire, and in most fantasy settings it's not. Off the top of my head, there are generally two variations on the fire-breathing: it's either magical or non-magical.
Usually, magical dragonfire burns far hotter than ordinary fire, hot enough to vaporise everything it touches and evaporate water on contact. Sometimes, magical fire doesn't even need oxygen to sustain it.
Non-magical dragonfire is generally produced via some kind of sulfurous reaction, or like the dragons in the movie Reign of Fire via a napalm-like fluid or gas that ignites on contact with oxygen. This is closer to ordinary fire, but would probably compare better to a flamethrower.

On the whole drowning thing, most dragons are depicted as being able to hold their breath for incredibly long periods of time, generally anywhere from half an hour to 2-3 hours, or longer. Somehow, I doubt anyone could keep an unwilling dragon's head underwater for that length of time >.>
imreader

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, way to shoot down a theory that was worked on for more than a page.

Actually, I think a drunk and tied dragon might even have trouble getting out of a lake. Assuming dragons act the same as humans when drunk, and there were rocks tied to the ropes.
Negation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
On the whole drowning thing, most dragons are depicted as being able to hold their breath for incredibly long periods of time, generally anywhere from half an hour to 2-3 hours, or longer. Somehow, I doubt anyone could keep an unwilling dragon's head underwater for that length of time >.>

Maybe get the dragon on a bridge or a boat and then get it utterly drunk. Then it would be a bit easier to get it into water and most likely it wouldn't float. If the dragon is happily snoring and sleeping it's drunkness away, it should drown if tossed into a lake?
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imreader wrote:
Wow, way to shoot down a theory that was worked on for more than a page.

Yup, that's me, just wait and someday I'll disprove every theory there ever was >.>

Negation wrote:
chaos-drone wrote:

Maybe get the dragon on a bridge or a boat and then get it utterly drunk. Then it would be a bit easier to get it into water and most likely it wouldn't float. If the dragon is happily snoring and sleeping it's drunkness away, it should drown if tossed into a lake?

Thing is, how much alcohol would it actually take to make a fully grown Dragon drunk? Would it even drink it in the first place? Could it even become drunk?
Remember, Spiky was literally just a baby when she drank the whiskey and it was the first thing she actually had to drink, no guarantee that it would work on an adult. Plus, it strikes me that tossing a drunk dragon into a lake/river/whatever filled with enough water to actually drown them would be a surefire way to wake and sober them up >.>

Personally, I think a good old Zap Brannigan strategy would work best: 'I fearlessly sent legion after legion of my own men against them...' xD
Sniper_at_work

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: CHOKE Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
ak-ryuu wrote:
Negation wrote:
Would killing a half-dragon be enough to lift the curse?

Maybe that lifts half the curse ;P

I wonder if it would mean that zaps aren't so violent anymore or if he only gets zapped every other day ;)

I would guess though it's all or nothing with the curse though. So either Vincent gets rid of it or not, there wouldn't be middle ground. But that we of course see only if Vincent actually kills Edgar ;)

or maybe he stills gets zaped but would not die at 26
flaplaca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a tavern called The Worthless Dragon, and Vincent burns it to the ground?

Yeah, I know. I'll shut up now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: