Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, finished College the other day and celebrated by buying a bunch of games I've been wanting for ages, plus one that just came out:

Final Fantasy III: The recently released DS version of the NES/SNES classic. For me, this is where Final Fantasy really started, this is the game that introduced Job switching and proper characters with backgrounds and stories. The storyline is classic Final Fantasy: four heroes chosen by light to prevent their world from sinking into darkness.
The game is rock-hard - almost on par with the insane difficulty of Final Fantasy XII - and it's nicely refreshing in this age of games that can be finished in a matter of hours, where the single player mode is just an excuse to add online multiplayer. It's nice to have a challenge for a change ;)

Blazing Angels: Saw this a while back, then recently discovered it lying in the pre-owned section of 360 games with a pleasingly low price tag :p
Anyone who used to waste coins on the great old flying games in arcades - like Afterburner - will have a blast with this thing. With 42 actual WWII fighter planes and bombers to fly, arcade-style survival and dogfight modes, online play and of course, single player missions that are actual battles from WWII, what more do you want?
The controls are very tight, and the planes actually feel like real planes, as opposed to either lumps of lead with wings or pieces of paper. Banking, rolling, climbing and maneuvering all feel very realistic, and thankfully not much time is wasted with take-off and landing. You spin your rotors a few times and you're in the sky, no fuss.
For me, this game also has a certain sentimental value, since my great-uncle was shot down while on a bombing run during WWII, so I'm completely lapping this up.
Note: The German pilot voices are terrible, they sound like cheesy cartoon voices or something. Since I lived in Germany for quite a few years, and speak fluent German, I actually find them even more grating. Doesn't help that they're almost constant, but at least it's good incentive to shoot them down faster :p
Double Note: The main pilots are all Americans... I hate it when WWII games are made by American companies, want me some good ol' RAF boys :)

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland: This is the first Tony Hawk's game I've bought since Pro Skater 3, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. Haven't spent much time with it yet, but the controls are sharp as a pin, skating feels very natural, and it's basically 2 games in one since they threw in classic Tony Hawk's mode as well as the free-roaming story mode. Well worth the money.

Need For Speed Carbon: Again, haven't picked up a NFS game since Underground 2, but this baby practically screamed 'Buy Me!' I've hardly put it down since I got it, except for one other game which I'll get to later >.>
More race-modes, more cars, more tuning options... heck, more everything than any other NFS game, and it looks wonderful as well.

Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes: I've been after this for a long time, and one of my local game stores recently got it in again, so how could I resist?
To me, this is the best of the Metal Gear series. Best story, best characters, best gameplay. I do miss over-the-shoulder aiming though...

Resident Evil Zero: Another game I've been after for ages that finally came back into local stores. This was the only Resi Evil title I didn't own, so I just had to snap it up :)
Loving the original story, but again, where's my beloved ots aiming?

And finally, the BIG one:

Legend Of Zelda - Twilight Princess: As a huge Zelda fan I've wanted this since the day it came out, however, one thing stopped me from buying it: the fact that the price tag for the Gamecube version is the same as the one on the Wii version. Why should I pay that much money for a last-gen console game? I got a good deal on a trade-in though that let me pick this up for half-price, and now I'm seeing just what I've been missing. Seriously, I'm just drunk on Zelda right now, and this game is bloody massive. Nine temples total, and I'm already 10 hours in and just about to start the third temple... that's a lot of play time :p
Anyway, definitely the best Zelda title and as always with these games, fantastic fun to play.
imreader

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Some good choices, but I can't imagine spending that much.
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I only spent about 50. I traded in a lot of old stuff, and only Zelda cost more than 25 to begin with. I effectively got 3 games 'free' on trade-in, Zelda half-price and Final Fantasy for 10 because of a special offer. Neat huh?

Last edited by chaos-drone on Tue May 22, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Negation

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
Actually, I only spent about 50 pounds. I traded in a lot of old stuff, and only Zelda cost more than 25 to begin with. I effectively got 3 games 'free' on trade-in, Zelda half-price and Final Fantasy for 10 because of a special offer. Neat huh?

Pretty neat deal, indeed. I like scavenging all those sales bins at stores, because sometimes you get good games almost free. Of course that means that the games aren't the latest ones, but since they're new to me it doesn't matter.

And congratulations for finishing the college ^_^
Byeynyn

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'm living it up as a Nintendo fanatic, which means-

Super Paper Mario (Wii): The consequences of it being a RPG-Platforming hybrid is that it's incredibly quick for an RPG, and incredibly dialogue-packed for a platformer. But the story is quirky and there are hours worth of extras.

Phoenix Wright- Ace Attorney (DS): I almost missed this gem of a game. Objections! Cross-examinations! The judicial process has never been more exciting! I sound like a promoter! Yippee!

Fire Emblem- Path of Radiance (GameCube): A turn-based tactics game from the makers of Advanced Wars. Emphasis on weapons, character classes, and throwing the controller in frustration because units that die stay dead (except when reseting).

I finished Zelda: Twilight Princess, and it's awesome yet so similar to the other Zelda games and I don't want to spoil it.
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Twilight Princess last night (not completed yet, but finished the main storyline)
I loved the Ganondorf fight at the end, definitely the best battle against him they've ever done. OK, so the whole game was by far the best Zelda, but there were parts of the other games I liked better, but man, that boss battle was fantastic.

In other news: Starcraft 2

This is just sorta starting to sink in with me, since I've been on a Zelda high all week :)
I highly recommend watching the awesome trailer... now, excuse me while I go and give praise before the altar of gaming awesomeness >.>
imreader

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even play many RTSs and I'm psyched for Starcraft II... Is that bad?
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imreader wrote:
I don't even play many RTSs and I'm psyched for Starcraft II... Is that bad?

Actually, I think it's a common virus called Starcraftitis. In Korea they apparently use it to create Starcraftiagra >.>

Got Kingdom Hearts 2 for 10 in a clear-out sale yesterday... now if I can finally get around to finishing the first one, I'll start 2 tonight...
goldentails

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ya see a game called lord strickers world keep in mind i made it with a friend... :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: