Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Games Reply with quote

What the hell? No games topic?! At least some of you must be gamers...

So, a general talking topic about games. What genre do you play most, what games do you find the best, are there any special games/game sites/whatever worth mentioning?

I myself play tons of different games, of different genres. I really like retro-styled and old games though. My favourite genres are RPG and adventure. I'd say that I find all of the Lucasarts adventure games the best adventure games, and the Final Fantasy series the best RPG series (not to forget EarthBound!). My favourite FF is FF6.

In freeware-land, I'd like to share these great games with you people:
ClickBeat - Music, beats, clicking, and very artistic animation. I love this game.
The Underside - Still in the making, but hell what a good game. A platform game with a great story and obviously lots of hard work put in it.

I might share some more good freeware games later. I know of plenty! :)

Ok, now you folks!
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just finished the main storyline of Final Fantasy XII today, and I can honestly say that was the best Final Fantasy I've ever played, and I've played 'em all. Might just be the best game I've ever played, come to think of it, although God of War ranks high :)

I also reactivated my WoW account tonight after a few months leave, just got my new PC and I have to say, that game is sooo much better without any annoying lag.

Future games I'm looking forward to: C&C 3 definitely, after playing the demo, it's nice to see such an iconic series back on track again. I also just read Gamespy's most recent preview for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (located here ) and if I needed yet another reason to buy a PS3, that was it. I was starting to lose all hope for the system after seeing Playstation Home and Little Big Planet, but Lucasarts have saved me yet again *sigh*
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Games Reply with quote

DaVince wrote:
What the hell? No games topic?! At least some of you must be gamers...

I don't consider myself a gamer. And PCs aren't for games, in my opinion ;) I play Sim City 4 and FreeCiv on my PC, sometimes. And Spider Solitaire when I'm procrastinating ...

For games, I have my trusty old PSone, but I haven't played much there either, only Squaresoft stuff :) Favourite game: Vagrant Story.
Also played all Final Fantasy games from 1-9 plus Tactics Advance.

I have a GBA too, only for FF Tactics Advance ;P (Currently playing Denki Blocks there sometimes though, and I also own Kuru Kuru Kururin, but that game just makes me angry...).
DaVince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And PCs aren't for games, in my opinion ;)

Hey, I never said a thing about what console, eh. ;)

Oh yeah, consoles. We can talk about those, too. I have a SNES (two, actually), PSOne, three Atari 2600's (2 hacks), Sega Mega Drive, Gameboy (OLD old version), GBA and an Amiga 500. I have no new consoles yet, as you can see. :P

Oh yeah, and I have a lot of classics for these consoles. Super Mario, FF 1-9 (except 3, meh, and 1 and 2 are the PSX remakes), those Mana games, Zelda OoT/Awakening/Oracle games...

Quick replies there btw. :)

EDIT: Oh, still have to find and play Tactics for the PSX. And buy FFTA (honestly I only ever played the ROM once).
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... consoles... I have a Snes, Megadrive, N64, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance SP, Gamecube, PSX, PS2, Nintendo DS and an X-Box 360 :)

Favorite games:

Snes: Anything with Mario in it

Megadrive: Anything with Sonic in it

Game Boy: Pokemon

Game Boy Color: Pokemon

Game Boy Advance/SP: guess...

Nintendo DS: Don't have many, I'd go with Sonic Rush and the Castlevania games ^.^

N64: anything by Rare

Gamecube: Star Wars: Rogue Leader and Smash Bros Melee

PSX: anything by Square :)

PS2: God of War and Final Fantasy XII

360: currently Dead Rising, but Assassin's Creed will be out shortly

Did I mention I'm studying to be a game designer? :p
Kriegel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GBA and Gamecube. No I'm not a fanboy.

I...don't play all that often. Smash Bros. is nice, though.

I play Minesweeper....*heh*
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I mostly play Zelda: Twilight Princess and Space Empires V. Recently played games include Uplink, Steel Panthers: World at War, Harpoon 3 and Neverwinter Nights.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... I have played pretty much everything that has been listed and beaten them, but I'm getting back into 2nd edition D&D, although I have no one to DM or be a player. :(
semiconfused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone ever play Blazing Dragons for Playstation? That game was the shiz. I mainly play childlike games that I can comprehend...such as Mario...Spyro the Dragon...and Devil Dice...and Donkey Kong. I would love to play RPGs, but I would just get frustrated that I couldn't finish the story due to my ineptness at video games.
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semiconfused wrote:
I would love to play RPGs, but I would just get frustrated that I couldn't finish the story due to my ineptness at video games.

lol to be honest, I find most RPGs too easy. Final Fantasy X was a cakewalk, and VII through IX weren't much better. Online MMOs seem to veer randomly from the ridiculous (Everquest) to the over-simplified (World of Warcraft).

The only extremely challenging RPG I've played recently was Enchanted Arms on the 360, which was just stupid since enemies at the start of the game could one-shot your entire party.
Final Fantasy XII on the other hand was difficult without being stupid, and finishing it made me feel really good ^.^
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
lol to be honest, I find most RPGs too easy. Final Fantasy X was a cakewalk, and VII through IX weren't much better.

I agree, at least about the Final Fantasies. The only one that took me more than one try to beat the final boss was IV.
Especially IX was too easy. I beat the hidden secret žber-boss accidentally ;)

In Vagrant Story, at least, the final boss battle lived up to the expectations :)

(On the other hand, I totally suck at jump-and-runs.)

And I'm not going to play any online RPG, ever. It would suck all of my "free" time, which I am currently using for making webcomics ;)
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
Especially IX was too easy. I beat the hidden secret žber-boss accidentally ;)

Heh, I can remember figuring out how to get the 'secret' boss in VIII (Omega) and maxing out my best party to beat him... only to find he casts LV 5 Death: if your level can be divided by five, you die *sob*

ak-ryuu wrote:
In Vagrant Story, at least, the final boss battle lived up to the expectations :)

Same with FFXII, the last boss actually has 3 attacks which are the special attacks of various incarnations of Bahamut >.> Much carnage ensues :)

ak-ryuu wrote:
And I'm not going to play any online RPG, ever. It would suck all of my "free" time, which I am currently using for making webcomics ;)

hehe that's the best way tbh, I got myself hooked, first on WoW, then FFXI, now I can't wait for Age Of Conan and Warhammer Online (mmh, PVP-based MMO... like CounterStrike for RPG gamers :>)

Last edited by chaos-drone on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaVince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, MMORPGs haven't been done CORRECTLY yet. Most of them are at least one of these: overcomplicated, way too simple, gets boring quickly (too much repetition), ridiculous looking characters/whatever (I mean, WoW? Come on! lol)...
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaVince wrote:
In my opinion, MMORPGs haven't been done CORRECTLY yet. Most of them are at least one of these: overcomplicated, way too simple, gets boring quickly (too much repetition), ridiculous looking characters/whatever (I mean, WoW? Come on! lol)...

Actually, I love WoW's graphics. You have to understand that the style of the graphics has to do with Warcraft lore, that's how those characters have looked since the first Warcraft concept art. Sure, they could have made this immensely good-looking, Lord Of The Rings style epic, but it wouldn't be Warcraft. I enjoy playing WoW because it feels so lighthearted, and some of the quest text is hilarious :>

As for repetition, every game is repetitive, MMOs just feel more so because they're far longer than the average game (Average play time to finish FF12 = 30-40 hours, average play time to 60 in WoW = 48-72 hours)
So far, there are no MMOs for people who just want to sit down and kill half an hour. They require time and effort, and a little bit of love :>
Although, as I mentioned above, Warhammer Online seems likely to suppot a more casual playstyle.

Overcomplicated? Haven't found a single complicated mainstream MMO yet. A lot of them are extremely frustrating because of some of the restrictions they set on players or just plain stupid things, like Final Fantasy's extreme currency (100 gold in WoW would be roughly equal to 1 Million Gil in FF)

I'll grant you the simple one tho, WoW is probably the most undemanding game ever hehe
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
So far, there are no MMOs for people who just want to sit down and kill half an hour.

Actually, I have seen an advertisement for a flash-based(?) MMORPG with the selling point that you could play short quests on your lunch breaks.
But since I want to stay away from such games (see above), I didn't investigate further ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: