Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kinda oldschool site design?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-- no good space to link to Spiky's World.

I was planning to report that annoyance to that, but you already found it I see. :)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
that whole Project Wonderful thing

I added another ad box to the archives, half-banner sized. Just mentioning this in case anyone who reads this always wanted to advertise on SHD-WK, but found the buttons too small ;)

Still pondering the whole redesign thing. I wonder if it's worth keeping the current design, but re-drawing the ancient Spiky/Vincent frame thingie around the comic?
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing about a potential redesign -- it can't be any more graphics-heavy than the current one (or with a bigger page size, in kilobytes). Looks like I'll go over my traffic limit this month again, 60% of my 30 gigs are already used up :) It sure is nice to have so many readers! (The hosting costs are getting very noticeable though ... I hope I won't have to re-think my "no ads on the front page" stance...)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
I wonder if it's worth keeping the current design, but re-drawing the ancient Spiky/Vincent frame thingie around the comic?

*whistles*
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
ak-ryuu wrote:
I wonder if it's worth keeping the current design, but re-drawing the ancient Spiky/Vincent frame thingie around the comic?

*whistles*

Cool, a new frame. I'll miss the old one a bit though ;) Could you put it into "odds" section, so we can see it in the future too? If it's somehow feasible.

Spiky and Vincent look so modern in a way in the new frame. It will take some time to get used to them ;)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
Cool, a new frame. I'll miss the old one a bit though ;) Could you put it into "odds" section, so we can see it in the future too? If it's somehow feasible.

Nah. I hate it too much for that right now ;)

It's here.
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
Negation wrote:

Nah. I hate it too much for that right now ;)

It's here.

I like that long and skinny design ;)

The new placement and font for the text "spiky-haired dragon, worthless knight" is definitely a good improvement I would say.
blackblaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about for the people who like the old one more having a button to change it back to the old boarder?
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackblaster wrote:
what about for the people who like the old one more having a button to change it back to the old boarder?

That would be a lot of coding (if I do it via cookies for example), or a duplicate of the whole site (which would mean I would have to maintain two sites) for a tiny difference in design that most people wouldn't even care about.

Of course, if you have a browser that supports it and know how to do it, you can use user-based CSS to override the background image back to the old one (it's still on the server, the link is above) ;)

But yeah, with every change, as small as it is, there will always be somebody who doesn't like it. That's why I started this whole thread, telling everything I was planning to do, so that people could stop me before I put work into things. Nobody did, though ;)

... Give it some time to get used to it first, perhaps?

Anybody else who absolutely doesn't like it? If I get all 50-something forum members saying "change it back, change it back!", then I probably will. (But I will still ask "why didn't you say anything when I asked for opinions?" ;))
blackblaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not saying i like or dislike the new one, it just that someone probably will complain, and yes i know a way to change it using javascript, if that can be done, if not i will look for a different way to change it. i believe that it only needs a second css sheet with the old image instead of the new. if your wondering here is an example using javascript from w3school
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackblaster wrote:
i'm not saying i like or dislike the new one, it just that someone probably will complain

Sorry if I sounded too harsh above, wasn't my intention. I'm not so good with English sometimes ;)

I do know how to change things (i.e. give an option) if I wanted to, I just don't believe there's enough people who would want such an option to warrant the change to be done on the server. (And I sure wouldn't do it in a way that relies on javascript -- I like my site to be valid, well-structured, and accessible without cookies or javascript.)

If there's just one or two people who want to keep the old design, I think it's something they should do locally on their client (and that's most easily done with user-defined CSS, which any good browser probably supports).
blackblaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand, but i believe that there is a way to do the same thing in PHP i just don't know enough yet to know how to, i will look
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackblaster wrote:
i understand, but i believe that there is a way to do the same thing in PHP i just don't know enough yet to know how to, i will look

No need to, you're missing the point: I'm not going to give an option between the two (the differences are minimal, after all). If I get a lot of complaints about the new graphic (and few people saying they like it better), I will change it back. Otherwise it stays as it is now. There's really no point in making it optional.

Maybe I need to start a poll .... ;>
Kriegel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:

I'm not so good with English sometimes ;)

Liar. :P

I...

um...

wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriegel wrote:
Liar. :P

Well I may know vocabulary, and I may know grammar (at least when I try), but I'm not always sure how to convey exactly what I want to convey, I mean to find the right tone and all ... (Did that make sense?)

Kriegel wrote:
I... um... wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything.

About my English, or about the change on the website? ;P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: