Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kinda oldschool site design?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Kinda oldschool site design? Reply with quote

I'm aware that the site design uses some new HTML techniques (like CSS), yet... It has something to it that makes it say "hi, I'm a site that has been around for quite some time".

Not that it's bad, but it's always on my mind. Could be the mix of dark blue and orange.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kinda oldschool site design? Reply with quote

DaVince wrote:
Not that it's bad, but it's always on my mind. Could be the mix of dark blue and orange.

Heh, the question of redesign is always on my mind. It looks awfully 2003, and it's 2007 now... I'm not really happy with it anymore either, but I'm also kinda wary of changing it. I have been meaning to play around with the design somewhat, post a new one on the forums and ask opinions and then maybe switching, I just haven't gotten around to it yet :)
At least thanks to CSS it won't be much of a hassle to change the design. After all Spiky's World uses almost identical HTML, yet looks quite different ;P

And yeah, that's what I'd go for if I change it, plain white background, some space for ad space (if I do change the design, I might also reconsider my no-ads-on-the-main-page stance), no bells and whistles. The shape of the comic (1x4 rather than 4x1) makes things a bit more complicated though...
Kriegel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the weird guy (dragon?) who likes the site the way it is now. Simple...and for some reason I like the color scheme.
semiconfused

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the site too. Maybe because I've spent so long staring at it already...
timmiboi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite possible, cant say i have any gripes about the design (mind u, i havn't been reading since 2003)
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the coloring cos I have sensitive eyes and pure white sites always give me headaches :)

From a vaguely professional point of view, though, the site does look a bit dated (got a distinction in my Web Design course last year, go me lol) but there are far worse sites out there heh

I think the current style suits the comic, although a redo might help with the resizing issues.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
I think the current style suits the comic, although a redo might help with the resizing issues.

Nah, even if I redo the site (still thinking about it all the time..), the comic would still stay the exact same size. I'm currently in the process of changing the way (and size) I draw it on paper, to see if that makes the resizing results better in the end.

I would probably keep the colour if I change the site layout (even though I personally prefer white websites nowadays -- but the ugly yellow is a trademark now ;P). I also want to keep the font sizes, I hate websites with ultra-tiny fonts. One thing I'm still not sure about is whether I'll keep my "no ad buttons (or similar) on the front page" policy if I do a redesign. I'd probably run another couple of polls here to decide that...
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
Nah, even if I redo the site (still thinking about it all the time..), the comic would still stay the exact same size. I'm currently in the process of changing the way (and size) I draw it on paper, to see if that makes the resizing results better in the end.

Ah, fair enough. I was thinking that you might be placing size restrictions on yourself specifically due to the site design or something ;)

ak-ryuu wrote:
I would probably keep the colour if I change the site layout (even though I personally prefer white websites nowadays -- but the ugly yellow is a trademark now ;P). I also want to keep the font sizes, I hate websites with ultra-tiny fonts. One thing I'm still not sure about is whether I'll keep my "no ad buttons (or similar) on the front page" policy if I do a redesign. I'd probably run another couple of polls here to decide that...

Might be worth looking into that whole Project Wonderful thing. Little Gamers and PVP ran those adds and they were pretty unobtrusive, which was nice.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
Might be worth looking into that whole Project Wonderful thing. Little Gamers and PVP ran those adds and they were pretty unobtrusive, which was nice.

I am running Project Wonderful ads, both in the archives, and on this forum here (if you're not logged in), have been for a long time :) Just not on the main page. I made a decision early on that the main page would stay ad-free as long as possible.
Kriegel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:

I would probably keep the colour if I change the site layout (even though I personally prefer white websites nowadays -- but the ugly yellow is a trademark now ;P). I also want to keep the font sizes, I hate websites with ultra-tiny fonts.

I like the yellow/orange/pink mix! :)

Font size is good.
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
chaos-drone wrote:

I am running Project Wonderful ads, both in the archives, and on this forum here (if you're not logged in), have been for a long time :) Just not on the main page. I made a decision early on that the main page would stay ad-free as long as possible.

The really ironic thing here is that proves my point since I actually never noticed them at all lol *slaps self*
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaos-drone wrote:
The really ironic thing here is that proves my point since I actually never noticed them at all lol *slaps self*

Heheh, true. Unfortunately that also means that nobody clicks on them, which then means that advertisers won't stay/come back. (I'm a bit bitter because just this morning, my ad boxes took a steep drop in price ;))
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing around a bit with some ideas for a redesign. No idea yet if that will result in anything, but I'll show it here first. Of course, comic #500 would be a good opportunity for a big change, or maybe the 4 year anniversary. Hmmm....

Still unsure whether I want advertising/top list buttons/etc on my front page or not.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the current site design, except for the top. If you change the menu a little bit, it would be a lot easier to navigate. That's my only gripe, so you should be fine.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I don't like about it anymore:
-- the frame around the comic. Takes up too much space.
-- that ancient, ancient picture of Vincent at the bottom of the frame.
-- the menu ... it should be more visible, but I can't really change that without a complete site redesign.
-- the fact that the name of the comic isn't really immediately obvious.
-- no good space for ad button placement - although at this time, I still don't want ad buttons on the main page anyway.
-- no good space to link to Spiky's World.
-- probably a couple more that I can't recall right now ;)

But after tinkering around with it last night, I'm really not sure anymore if I want a radical redesign. It would alienate some readers, I'm sure. At least that's usually my reaction if I site I follow gets a completely new layout :) So I'm currently trying to figure out ways how to change the site very gradually. (Actually, I've been doing that all the time -- things aren't as they were at the beginning anymore either.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: