Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of healthcare the comic world has?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: What kind of healthcare the comic world has? Reply with quote

I was wondering what kind of healthcare the comic world has. When Vincent got into deep trouble in the mountains with Roland, he woke up in Sheldon's Drake. So I guess there aren't hospitals around there (of course could be that they didn't want to risk it and carry Vincent there, though).

My guess is that there's no hospitals at all, but priests and such take care of their function. There's mention about Juriaan, who is both doctor and priest and living somewhere Dragonore or close by. Maybe there's something more formal down to the south, since that's where the capital is after all. And the army most likely has their own field hospital system, though we don't know how advanced. I guess main focus would be in setting bones and mending wounds and more complicated operations might be out of their reach.

Rural areas would obviously have some folklore about healing, like what herbs can be used to cure things and such.

What do you think?
Rainaari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...

Since this comic contains dragons and therefore some kind of magic, I tend to fill in empty spaces with pieces from the LOTR series. Most of the time i'm wrong, but anyway...

So, healthcare might not be federally organized but lays in the hands of wizards / wise men, druids, healers, witches... whoever is around and has a decent reputation.

The Army might be different, though, but pro'lly they reserve the better docs for their horses...

Last edited by Rainaari on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kriegel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the federal organization (horrible term for this world) is somewhere along the lines of "none."

Doctors? Most likely.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of healthcare the comic world has? Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
I was wondering what kind of healthcare the comic world has. (...)
What do you think?

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to answer this -- it sounded like a request for discussion ;) Then again I don't think that's a topic that is suitable for that because, you know, I can just answer it and then there's no need to speculate ...

In fact I have been thinking about those things (again) just recently while working on the next major story arc (here's a a starting point for speculation, if apparently I need doctors there ;P)...

In Rahenby, there certainly is no hospital. There are hardly any people there! But priests don't have anything to do with medicine either ... that's a doctor's job. And yes, there are doctors at Sheldon's Drake (and at Dragonore and Thurlow Manor as well). They are employed by the Duke and belong to the staff there.

Big towns would possibly have hospitals -- but there you would usually have to pay to be treated. Nothing like a "federal" organisation there in any case, at most it would be organised by the town/city.

But it surely is not feasible to transport anyone from Rahenby to Cattsborough or even further for medical help -- it's just too far.
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of healthcare the comic world has? Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
I wasn't sure if I was supposed to answer this -- it sounded like a request for discussion ;) Then again I don't think that's a topic that is suitable for that because, you know, I can just answer it and then there's no need to speculate ...

It was sort of both ;) I just caught a flu recently and that made me to wonder what kind of healthcare system they have. What surprised me is that priests don't have anything to do with medicine in the world. I sort of assumed since they most likely have access to books and scrolls that they would have good knowledge of the anatomy and such, making them first candidate to heal people.

ak-ryuu wrote:
But it surely is not feasible to transport anyone from Rahenby to Cattsborough or even further for medical help -- it's just too far.

Ok, now that we have seen the map of the region it's more clear to me how places are situated around each other. It really wouldn't make any sense to transport wounded people all the way to Cattsborough, it's just too far away as you said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: