Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collective mind and Spiky's motives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
In this universe all dragons supposedly have a collective mind. Like ants, only way more biggerererer and deadly.

"Supposedly" so far i didnt notice :P
general ripper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dragon Mind Trick Reply with quote

Rainaari wrote:
My Hypothesis:

Dragons are born with the ability for their collective mind. Using this mind might need some synchronization (like humans can use speech, but to be able to speak, every baby must learn this individually).
Speech is transmitted via sound waves. The dragon mind might be transmitted via some strange etherical wave type (with a range that might be much bigger than the range of sound waves), so spiky might have been able to pick up this 'language' even when at home with Vincent.

eehh..
i hope you can follow...

you guys are making to much of this he obviosly thought of mental powers after the hatch scene.
Rainaari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dragon Mind Trick Reply with quote

general ripper wrote:

you guys are making to much of this he obviosly thought of mental powers after the hatch scene.

Sure, might be... but... it's fun ,)
Negation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dragon Mind Trick Reply with quote

Rainaari wrote:
general ripper wrote:

Sure, might be... but... it's fun ,)

It sure is fun to guess and debate. And if we keep doing that for long enough, we'll reach the correct conclusion too. The problem of course is to know when we have reached it and continue no further ;)
Shade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or: maybe its just something the author made up while he scratched his tummy and wondered what he would have for dinner?
( i make some comics meself, and thats how i get me ideas;))
and whats the deal with her "super-sayia-dragon mode? she looks like a lion hybrid when she does that!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shade wrote:
and whats the deal with her "super-sayia-dragon mode? she looks like a lion hybrid when she does that!

That's probably because I played too much FF7.
Shade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what if this "collective mind" thingie has a certian radius and such!
like: when she was in her egg, she "learned some minor things from her parents trought that collective-thing. and now, she lives with vincent and her mind conects to his instead of her parents(wich she probarly had very litttle contact with in the first place) or maybe: when a dragon hatches it conects to the first creature it sees that it reasons is its parent(s).
Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
In this universe all dragons supposedly have a collective mind. Like ants, only way more biggerererer and deadly.

Do ants have a mind at all? I always figured they just have their behavior hardwired in, and it's evolved to serve their role in the hive without needing to understand the big picture at all, whether that role is worker, guard, queen, drone, etc.

I tend to think of this comic's draconic "collective mind" as something like the telepathy dragons have with each other and with their dragonrider in Anne McCaffrey books. It's not some subversive, shifty web of psychic conspiracy, and it's not even so collective that it forces them to agree with each other or anything, it's just something dragons take for granted as a means of communicating with each other and sharing sensations and memories.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Negation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fathom wrote:
Cthonic Cultist wrote:

Do ants have a mind at all? I always figured they just have their behavior hardwired in, and it's evolved to serve their role in the hive without needing to understand the big picture at all, whether that role is worker, guard, queen, drone, etc.

That's debatable, but in any case their mind isn't that big alone. But when you combine ants into one big hive, interesting behaiour emerges. Things like termites building their nests in a way that they are warmed by sun in the morning and evening, but receiving minimal sunshine during the noon.

Fathom wrote:
I tend to think of this comic's draconic "collective mind" as something like the telepathy dragons have with each other and with their dragonrider in Anne McCaffrey books. It's not some subversive, shifty web of psychic conspiracy, and it's not even so collective that it forces them to agree with each other or anything, it's just something dragons take for granted as a means of communicating with each other and sharing sensations and memories.

This is pretty much what I pictured the collective mind being (not that I have read any books by Anne McCaffrey). Dragons would be able to share information and memories with each others and maybe communicate to some degree. Like when Spiky was sleeping and then suddenly realised that Vincent and Roland are in trouble during their mountain trip.
Rainaari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fathom wrote:
Cthonic Cultist wrote:

Interesting point, and its being debated quite vigerously in modern science (behavioural science, neurosciences, even philosophy). Appearently the being (in terms of self-consciousness) consists of several layers, not all of them are limited to humans. Basic ones, like to know where ones legs are, should be present in ants, too (Ok, humans are missing the part with antenna-control). More advanced layers help with tactics or judge ones position in society (or different peer groups, like family, work, tennis club...)

A collective mind requires communication between individuals, which ants have prooven to have (antenna testing, pheromones...).
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. all this talk about ants and their collective mind got me thinking. If big pile of simple ants forms a functioning nest, what does a big pile of really intelligent dragon form?
Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend on how willful and individualistic the personalities of the dragons in question are, wouldn't it? From what we've seen, they tend to disagree with one another's values and judgments quite a bit, in this comic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Negation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, dragons are quite individualistic according to what we have seen. So they probably would form something that keeps changing mind and direction of action quite often.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the mind is some sort of "honor-based", or maybe using it has some important quirks that make using it a last (or first, as in hatching) resort.

Considering that so far most dragons have shown to play rather nice and their count, I can't imagine what this deterrent could be.
Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxDZ8 wrote:
Maybe the mind is some sort of "honor-based", or maybe using it has some important quirks that make using it a last (or first, as in hatching) resort.

Considering that so far most dragons have shown to play rather nice and their count, I can't imagine what this deterrent could be.

Maybe it's that the comic is told from the perspective of humans, and a dragon who, unusually, tends to hang around almost exclusively with humans. Maybe the reason why we don't see them taking unfair advantage of their telepathic powers more often is because, on the whole, dragons consider humans to be largely irrelevant, and don't really want anything from them that they're not already getting.

Of course, this raises the question of how the Worthless curse got agreed upon in the first place. I'm guessing rather singular circumstances, possibly involving a dragon with a vicious sense of humor deciding "Sure, why not? Sounds like a laugh and a half." And that dragon has probably long since lost interest, if it's even still alive, but the rest of the dragons just can't be arsed to care about Vincent's problem, since none of them are afraid he'll ever be at all capable of killing them, even if he's desperate to break the curse (which he still doesn't seem to be).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: