Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collective mind and Spiky's motives
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Collective mind and Spiky's motives Reply with quote

Has anyone ever wondered how the collective mind of dragons work? If it actually works as Spiky claims. And what are Spiky's motives?

In the very beginning of the story, she hatches and wonders if Vincent is her mother or father. Since she's supposed to have a collective mind, wouldn't it mean that she would know who her mother and father are? Either the collective mind doesn't work right after the hatching (how convinient that she hatched at the moment when Vincent arrived anyway...) or then there's something more into it.

I have a theory that she just wants to play some mischievous tricks onto humans and have fun.
jabberwock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just take a look at the favourite character poll.
It's a conspiracy! :O
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabberwock wrote:
Well, just take a look at the favourite character poll.
It's a conspiracy! :O

Must be a dragon mind trick :)
Rainaari

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Dragon Mind Trick Reply with quote

My Hypothesis:

Dragons are born with the ability for their collective mind. Using this mind might need some synchronization (like humans can use speech, but to be able to speak, every baby must learn this individually).
Speech is transmitted via sound waves. The dragon mind might be transmitted via some strange etherical wave type (with a range that might be much bigger than the range of sound waves), so spiky might have been able to pick up this 'language' even when at home with Vincent.

eehh..
i hope you can follow...
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right to me. Being able to do something doesn't mean that you have had that skill since the first day of your life.

Also if you think it more closely, it's somewhat similar with her ability to breath fire. When she lists her skills in quite beginning of the comic (in #16 ), but doesn't list ability to breath fire. Maybe she just skips that for whatever reason or doesn't yet have the skill. She did breat fire in the comic number 12, but that seems to have something to do with the whisky. And only later on she breaths fire without any help. So I guess it's like that with firebreathing too. She has the ability to do that, just not from the beginning.

Which makes me wonder if she has some extra tricks to show in the future :)
jabberwock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
She did breat fire in the comic number 12, but that seems to have something to do with the whisky.

I demand more information on Spiky's fire breathing abilities! ;)
I wonder how that works...
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabberwock wrote:

I once saw a TV documentary about dragons. I think they had a separate stomach or something, where they stored methane from metabolization or something... which gave them fuel to breathe fire as well as extra buoyancy for flying with those too-small wings ;P
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
jabberwock wrote:

I once saw a TV documentary about dragons. I think they had a separate stomach or something, where they stored methane from metabolization or something... which gave them fuel to breathe fire as well as extra buoyancy for flying with those too-small wings ;P

I saw a documentary like that too. After dragons use their methane for breathing fire, their flying ability decreases (obviously). Spiky could be using the same system, but instead of methane, it works with flammable liquids like whisky :)

Spiky can't fly as far as we know, at least she hasn't done that in the comic (only fallen down from the wall). That makes me wonder if she'll ever get wings so she can fly. Other dragons that we have seen have wings, so I think Spiky will eventually have them too.
jabberwock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
I saw a documentary like that too. After dragons use their methane for breathing fire, their flying ability decreases (obviously). Spiky could be using the same system, but instead of methane, it works with flammable liquids like whisky :)

Ah, a seperate stomach full of whiskey!
I like that. :)
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Spikey just uses her mind trick to make you think she breathes fire, but she really just uses a blowtorch to burn stuff. Howzzat?
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
I think Spikey just uses her mind trick to make you think she breathes fire, but she really just uses a blowtorch to burn stuff. Howzzat?

Interesting idea actually. I think the only time we have seen her to light up anything was recently when she gave the performance. Two times before that she didn't light anything at all (luckilly). Those two times she could have just used the mind trick to make people to believe, without lighting up anything.

The third time she lighted up the ring, so there she either breathed real fire or used the mind trick - blow torch combination. I'm leaned towards to believing that she actually breathed fire there, since there was quite many people present. Making them all to believe that she doesn't have a blowtorch might be too much for Spiky to do. At least during the tourney she couldn't make people to believe that Vincent actually hits the target, remember? Although back then there was even more people..
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about the collective mind, I suspect that is a myth. Dragons don't share all knowledge, but the share a lot. Dragons are individuals, and usually secretive. They share what they don't feel like working to keep secret. Spikey is just staying with Vincent because she likes him, but also because she can have lots of fun doing pranks on people.
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthonic Cultist wrote:
And about the collective mind, I suspect that is a myth. Dragons don't share all knowledge, but the share a lot. Dragons are individuals, and usually secretive. They share what they don't feel like working to keep secret.

The thing I have been wondering is that how much of things that Spiky tell are true and how much she's just making up. One of those things is the collective memory, which we haven't really seen a solid proof. She claims that the collective memory enabled her to speak so early and then there's the one instance where she had a dream or vision about Vincent in danger.

It also could be as you point it that collective mind isn't all encompassing, but limited to only certain areas of their mind. Dragons could keep their own secrets if they wish and only share the memories they wish to share. It could be that one would be able to force his way into someones memory, but only after a big struggle and he would have to be mentally stronger than the other dragon.
Ejder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know dragons don't have collective minds... through even middle telephaty skills would allow to synchronize them, but i dont think that they can exchange knowledge that way.
The thing to dragons have knowledge from hatch is just normal genetic memory, only MUCH stronger. Every animal has it: wolf pup will grow to be agressive and have strong hunting instinct even if you will care of it very carefully etc. Same is with humans we to get some genetic memory but its faint due our constantly running throughts :P i think.... Not long ago i heard that there are some scientifist researching that phenomenon... well doesnt matter that much here through.
My thing is: Spiky was born with knowlegde about language(she did speak from the start wasnt she? :P) and dragons, because her mother and father knew this things.
Notice that she doesnt know almost anything about humans.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this universe all dragons supposedly have a collective mind. Like ants, only way more biggerererer and deadly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: