Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Status update 2017!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Status update 2017! Reply with quote

Four years later, and the forum is finally back online!

Thanks to the gracious help of Hand, a long-time fan of the comic, who offered to host the forums and did most of the work getting it all set up, you can finally (hopefully) read and post again.

Luckily I had a more or less current backup, so all the users and posts should be in place!

There may be lingering bugs, and if we notice them, we'll do our best to fix them. Not sure if anyone else even still comes here though!

(As for the comic, my work on that isn't going so well; real life has me busy and when I do find free time, I find so many other things to do. I'm still planning to continue though, and I do think about it often.)
fauvem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the forum up and running again, does that mean that the story section will be updated to match the pages that have been posted while it was down?
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Is it worth it? I don't really expect a lot of traffic or discussions ...

Edit: Posted a sticky for 1002-1017 collectively :) Now I feel pretty bad that it's only been 16 comics in so many years ;>

Last edited by ak-ryuu on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addition to the status update:

I really want to get comics 1018+1019 up by November 25 (don't expect anything great, those are just the two comics that finish this little story arc, before a "Three weeks later" box). It's been difficult since I don't much like drawing at the moment, I don't have a workspace anymore to easily sit down and draw, and I currently don't have a working scanner/printer, and the ancient version of photoshop that I'm intimately familiar with (version 3, no, not CS3 ... version 3 from 1994/95) finally doesn't run anymore on my current hardware. (Doesn't matter much -- the last few comics have been done on CS5 already anyway, it's just a little slower as it's quite a bit different. So glad I bit the bullet and bought it a few years ago though.)

Ideally, after those 2 comics, I would switch to digital art (all comics until now have been completely on paper, except the Spiky's World spinoff which is sketched on paper but finished digitally). I do have a small, old, cheap tablet, but I'm really not good at using that ;).

Or perhaps I might consider finding an artist to work with; I'm very much a "want to do everything myself" person though, and, well, I can't exactly affort to hire somebody.

Anyway. I hope that the forum being live again gives me an extra kick in the behind so I can at least finish the current small arc this year ...
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited my previous two posts with the correct numbers. How did I even mess that up? Hope it's correct now, need more coffee ;)

Comics 1018 and 1019 have been uploaded and will go live on the next two Tuesdays (Nov 14 and 21) respectively, provided I did everything correctly (it's been a while).

After that, the plan is to finally write and finalise all of the scripts, and then figure out how to get them drawn. I estimate another ~800 comics, but might be far off -- I know where the story goes, but how long the details and detours will take is an entirely different question ;)

I'm hoping I can still do this and actually finish it some day. It's definitely a lot harder now than when the comic started and I was 14 years younger ...
Hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said anything but I do check the forums (manually, like some kind of inept caveman) every week. I have to pipe in and say that I am way too excited that there's been a new comic, and it looks good, too! It truly is a Novembermas miracle come true.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today marks the comic's 14th anniversary. (Also the anniversary of the day I first got Internet at home, in 1995, heh. Not a coincidence -- I timed the start of the comic like that on purpose.)

If the comic had progressed in real time, this would also be Spiky's 14th birthday, and Vincent's 34th. That really drives it home for me how long it's been.

When I started in 2003, I was sure I'd be finished by now. But life got in the way, as it tends to do .... Maybe I can finish in another 14? I am thinking about the story or the characters pretty much every day, still. Not calling it quits yet. The time around the holidays is packed, as usual, but my goal for 2018 is certainly to finally finalize the story/scripts. And then worry about drawing ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: