Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alcohol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asylumsway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Alcohol Reply with quote

and the United States.
Before I begin, I'd like to say I am indeed 19(under 21), and I am fully aware that the bill that affects the drinking age isn't due to be discussed for 4 years.

I am very much against the drinking age being 21, but I'll hold on my arguments for now.
What are your thoughts on the drinking age in the USA? Is it too high? too low? unconstitutional? etc.
Only awerewolf on tuesday

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too high. In Europe we have much less strict laws, and it mostly works.
Negation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Finnish system mostly works (at 18 you can buy anything at bar and liquor that has less that 22% alcohol from store, 20 to buy anything from store). At 18 you're considered as an adult by law, can take loans, drive car and do all that stuff. So you are also considered to take responsibility for your drinking too.

Granted, there's lots of problems with alcohol, but that's more of a cultural thing that wouldn't be changed by changing age where you can purchase alcohol.

That's why drinking age in USA sounds a bit high to me.
Asylumsway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I thought the Finnish system was at 21% alcohol.
But the culural thing with alcohol in the United States is a weird one. For example, it is generally accepted that college students and even some high school students drink regularly. Even though this is accepted, it is still a felony to be drinking underage, to be providing, or even just being at the same location. Changing the drinking age, in the long run, will change the culture, just like raising it in 1984 did.

In the USA, you are considered an adult at 18 as well, but for some unknown reason many things are making seem like 18-20 years of is just another step in childhood.
Negation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to actually check that, since I first thought it's 21% of volume. But it really seems to be that anything that doesn't exceed 22% of volume of alcohol, is not considered to be strong.
MaxDZ8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always considered it total bullshit. What about sigars? Cars? Guns? I truly never understood the rationale behind, the cause of a law so strict.
Asylumsway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this amusing, as I am now 21 and this topic is roughly 15 topics down. I feel like my normal rules on forums are that I don't post on anything that's not on the first page, but I really feel like I'm digging into archives now.

Anyways, Max, to buy rifles you need to be 18 and for pistols it's 21. I never really understood it though either, the idea that I can die for my country but I can't buy a beer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: