Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hullo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whose and what expression should I attempt next?
Helena; Bewildered
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Baron Ashcliff; Drunk
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Stella; Furious
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tonio; Smitten
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Costin; Unimpressed
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Edgar; Terrified
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Spiky; Nervous
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Siron; Any
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
I like polls
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Psykotika

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Hullo Reply with quote

Well, technically I've made one of these before, but that was, quite literally, over 3 or 4 years ago, and I'm a much different (and much less hyper) person now, so I figure I should probably get off to a new start.
Hiya.
How's it going, then? :)

Also, I used to draw terribly, now I draw less terribly, and the one thing that's always kind of bothered me about this comic is the expressions, or lack thereof. I mean yes, your characters do have expressions, only that they are somewhat limited, and I've been confused a time or two, reading the dialogue in a less emotional frame than what I later understand was meant. To that end I wanted to see what your characters might look like with a bit more emotion injected, so I sketched this up quick (on terrible paper, so the scan quality went to hell, plus I goobered up Roland's hands, and probably his face XD) Now I want to do Vincent mad as hell, because I've always secretly hoped he'd snap and lose it on someone >.>

...there's a poll because I like polls, and someone somehow felt it was a good idea to give me the power to poll! :D
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. (Yeah, I'm having problems finding a balance between a simple style, a style I can halfways comfortably draw, and complex expressions. Add to that that Vincent doesn't usually show a wide range of expressions anyway, Spiky is a dragon, and Siron .. well ...) I have pages in sketchbooks with a variety of attempted expressions, but it just never seems to translate well into the comic.

I remember one in particular .. 987.2, you haven't seen it yet ... where Vincent is supposed to have a blank expression, but it just isn't the right kind of blank. But we have pretty much established already that I'll never be an artist (unless I find the time/motivation/energy to become one) ...

I wanted two votes, "I like polls" and "Siron/any", but I just had to go with Siron ;)
Psykotika

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, well I know I'm still learning myself, but if there's anything I can ever help you with in the art department, please let me know (I can crit or draw out expressions/poses for exampling off of) or I have some artbooks on my computer I could send you, if you ever get the time/want to to sit down and work on it :)
(what sort of blank we talking about? I could maybe give it a wing XD)

And I'm working on Siron as we speak! er well... type? anyway, the thing with non-faced characters and I've also found it largely useful for non-human characters as well, is to focus on the body language for expression. Everyone does it naturally without thinking about it, but if you have some time to people watch, I strongly advise watching how people move/stand/pose whilst in various attitudes ^^ (not only fun, but educational as well!) I figure I can give him attitude by tilting his helmet in an appropriate attitude. Just trying to figure out his helmet/armor configuration first so I can mess about with it more freely ^^ any specific requests for Siron-emotions?

E: Well I went with angry and morose so far XD - is actually four pictures I put together into one, I did the full body ones to get a feel for the body language-ness and then did a close up on his face/torso. Glad I did, in the angry full body he looks like he's yelling at ants (maybe they got into his roses? XD) and the morose full body looks like he's stoned (those weren't edible mushrooms Siron o.o;). I should really stop using this paper, it wrinkles up and makes funny lines when scanned, but it's great for rough-work/sketching about.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the angry one. THOSE DAMN APHIDS
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, these look neat. Angry Siron looks really angry. It's not easy to convey emotions when the face is hidden behind helmet (unless you go with overly cartoony style and have face plate to change shape according to mood of the wearer).

What I would like to see is completely plastered Baron ;)
Psykotika

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

workin onnit ^^
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, out of the list in the poll, the only one that seems completely and utterly out of character to me is "Tonio: Smitten". All others I can see happening, although "Edgar: Terrified" would be fairly difficult to achieve, and it takes a lot to get Stella really angry ;P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: