Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tonio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Tonio Reply with quote

Well, looks like he's gone, so I'm making a thread to keep the more general discussion about him out of the "Story" forum.

For your convenience, here are handy links to the three story arcs he was in:
First: #221 - #227

Second: #364 - #428

Third: #695 - #753

And now some answers I held back on posting before:

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
And I've been meaning to say this for a while now: Tonio and Vincent really are incredibly similar to each other.

Yes.

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
They both are dead-set determined to help their friends (or closest approximation) or else make them help themselves,

Not really, in Tonio's case. It's true for his relationship to Vincent, but that's a big exception, I think.

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
but at the same time they have such a low opinion of themselves that they won't do anything to help themselves and actively try to discourage others from helping them, because they're 'not worth it'.

I think Tonio doesn't generally have a low opinion of himself. Although I can certainly see why you think so, from the last couple of strips :) He wasn't really in such a great frame of mind even before this "incident" with Spiky and August, and he is really worried about somehow losing control and having similar things happen as happened 12 (I think) years ago. Which is why is only solution is to give up and retreat to the life that he knows, where he can stick to his routines and feel safe.

Kriegel wrote:
This does have a ring of permanence, but as ak-ryuu knows, characters have a habit of doing what they want.

Oh do I know that. He wasn't supposed to stay in the comic for that long to begin with!

Anyway, I have several reasons to remove him from the story at this point, some from within the story/the character, as partly outlined above; some from a storyplanning point of view (it's not his story, it's Spiky's and Vincent's, and he has done his part); some for purely selfish reasons (I'd like to tell his story some other time / he's my favourite character and I find it hard to keep the focus on the main story while he's there / some of his story/actions is "hitting too close to home"). The decision is probably final, unless, as Kriegel says, my decision will be overthrown once again ;).

I'd really, really like to tell his story too, maybe after this one's done, but I'll have to finish this one first. (Also, if I want to draw it, I need to become a better artist first ...).

If there are any open questions about him that can be answered with a single yes or no or maybe a one-line reply, ask away, and I'll probably answer ;)
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, more info about Tonio.

Hm.. lets see.

Was Tonio going to be a thief since his early childhood or was it something that happened later? Also, was it a conscious choice or more or less an accident?

(I hope this wasn't covered in the comic already..)
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
Was Tonio going to be a thief since his early childhood or was it something that happened later?

It happened later, although having been called a thief once when he was a child probably had some influence.

Negation wrote:
Also, was it a conscious choice or more or less an accident?

A conscious choice to make it a career in the end, but when he stole (shoplifted, rather) for the first time (not counting that childhood incident), it was for different reasons, not for the sake of stealing. That was what landed him in jail for the first time, too, and making "thief" his full-time job came not much later.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread up!

No, he's not coming back. But it's his birthday today (July 31st) :)
Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about that? I mean, you never meant for him to become a significant character in the first place, but he certainly did that for awhile there. Maybe he'll come back despite your intentions.

(I believe in you, Tonio! You can do it!)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fathom wrote:
Are you sure about that?

Quite, but not 100%, no. Also, if I would say that I'm absolutely sure that he's never ever coming back, then I would spoil a part of the story, right? ;)

Fathom wrote:
I mean, you never meant for him to become a significant character in the first place, but he certainly did that for awhile there.

Yeah, although I did notice that early on, and I did let him ;) Never moved him into the "main characters" list though. I probably should.
TheOtherDibbler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, Tonio's story. I hope you do manage to do it one day, I'd love to read it, he's a very intruiging character and I'd love to know more about him. I'm sad that he won't be reappearing, but I understand your reasons.

Either way, I'm going to quietly hope to myself that he gets another good chance sometime in the future and actually takes it, that he'll get the closest possible approximation to a 'happy ending' that he can ('coz I'm a sucker for happy endings, and the scarcity of them in real life just means that there should be more of them in fiction). Even if it's only ever in my head, the thought makes me happy. :)
Antares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm the exception, but I think it is good that Tonio came in and left the story, and that he might not return. I don't think he should have his backstory explained either.

Why does Tonio resonate so strongly with all the readers? (At least he resonates strongly with me...) I think it is because he is the character that would most represent "me" if I were somehow injected into the story. Tonio is not like Roland, Helena, Siron and those who have known Vincent for all his life. He is not like August, Patch, Rattie or who don't really know him at all. He is not like the judge Sir Catlyn who cares and has the power to do something about Vincent's situation with the Baron, even if something small. He is not like Spiky who probably has the closest relationship, or the Baron, Costin or even Edgar who have at least a well-defined relationship with Vincent.

Instead, Tonio kind of shows up in the middle of Vincent's story. He owes Vincent nothing and is owed nothing from Vincent. He cares for some reason yet is powerless to help. Nevertheless he still tries to help, in a broken way. All he has is words and a twisted hope that Vincent's dying anger may yet turn out to be his salvation. In the end, he only earns Vincent's scorn. I feel that personally, I could do no better to help Vincent than Tonio did. And that's why I think I like Tonio so much. If he does not reappear in the story, I think he still will have played a great role.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The World All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: