Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vincent as a RPG character (both conventional and computer)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Negation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Vincent as a RPG character (both conventional and computer) Reply with quote

I have been wondering what kind of AD&D character Vincent would be. It should be fairly easy to play similar character in real AD&D, but computer versions would be quite a bit different.

I guess obvious choice for character class would be a knight or a fighter with fairly high intelligence. After all, Vincent is trained as a knight, although he can't really use weapons and he's done quite a bit reading.

In conventional AD&D curse should be possible to roleplay, but with computer I don't know if it would work out. Most likely you would have to just decide not to use weapons in any situation and stick with that. I haven't been playing that many computer rpgs, but any of those I have tried didn't have anything equivalent to the curse.

In any case, the thing that ultimately defines the character is how it's played, not the stats and feats. So you would just need to keep in mind how Vincent would behave and react accordingly.

Any thoughts or ideas? I might try out this with Neverwinter Night at somepoint in distant future.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been playing too much NWN ;P

I've been playing Vincent in a loosely AD&D-based MUD ... as a Paladin. It's quite a challenge to mud without weapons, though. And of course Paladin isn't such a good choice, Vincent being an atheist and all that, but Knights they don't have and Fighters were too stupid ;P

Now if we come to alignment, hmm .... I have no idea really. Maybe I should go and do some of those online alignment quizzes ;P Yeah. I'll go and print out http://www.mjyoung.net/dungeon/align.html , and when I'm done with that, I'll edit my post to include the answer :)

ETA: That was a lot of work. According to that test, Vincent would be lawful neutral (with tendencies towards good). That sounds about right :)
Negation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well. It's a great game after all. I already finished the original game and Shadows of Undrentide and I'm fairly far in the Hordes of the Underdark. After that I either give up or start playing with custom made content.

True, I think that one of the biggest challenges is playing without weapons at all. Of course you could compensate that by playing martial artist or monk, but then it wouldn't be like Vincent anymore.

Lawful neutral sounds pretty much what I expected him to be.
Cthonic Cultist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, probably Monk. Maybe Spikey could be a Psion! Oooo... Unless you play World of Darkness. That would be very odd. Maybe Vincent as moderate level Bard/Fighter, because he seems to inspire people, in addition to being a trained fighter. A smart bard though. No Elan like Vincent, methinks.
Negation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, monk most likely would make it a lot easier to play without weapons. Maybe it's not really what Vincent is though. A fighter or a knight would be the best choice if you would want to stick fairly close his character.

Fighter/Bard reminds me of course of August. That would be pretty perfect class combination for him. Maybe even bard alone would fit. I'm not that sure, since we don't know him that well.

By the way, I finished Hordes of the Underdark. Now I'm checking other available modules and already started playing one that looks fairly ok. Problem with some of the free modules is that they are written by people who write too long dialoque while the quality isn't high. So if anyone knows good NWN modules that are preferably designed for level 27 and upwards, I'm interested ;)
Nocturne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could suggest a few good NWN modules, though most people have probably moved onto NWN2 by now....the ones I would suggest would be low-level ones, though. I could never stand spending half-an-hour at the beginning of a game building a character up to a high level...or 6 characters in the case of something like Icewind Dale...ugh.

I would have thought Paladin or Fighter would fit Vincent best too, there are Paladin variants that don't fit the whole Lawful Good ethos but most of them are religious to a fault. Lawful Neutral fits with Vincent's fixation on keeping to the code.
There probably some variant in an obscure Fighter's D&D book which would fit Vincent better than either Fighter or Paladin, and there's probably a Knight class somewhere too.
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, NWN is a bit old now that the NWN2 is out. Problem of course is that system requirements for that are way too high for my machine. But if you have any suggestions, I would be interested (although I'm not currently playing NWN at all). Reason I like modules designed for higher level characters is that I would like to continue with the one that I used to play through Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. It would be nice to be able to continue with that same character ;)
Nocturne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN2 is overrated, anyway. ;)
Plus there's only a handful of modules out for it so far.

As for NWN1 modules, anything by Adam Miller is very good, so, that's Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher and Demon, there should be a file on the NWVault pages that lets you download all of his modules in one file, among with music, videos etc.

The 'A Hunt Through The Dark' series is good too...you control a drow in one of their campaigns up to the surface, so it's your basic evil campaign, though it does have some interesting twists.

Hmm...other than that, there is A Harper's Tale, Honour Amongst Thieves and the Paladin Trilogy (Twilight, Midnight and Dawn) amongst others I can't think of right now...
Negation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. If I get back into NWN, I will definitely give a try on these modules. It's sort of a pity that Hamir the swordmaster has to retire, but I guess it's time for new heroes.
Nocturne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's Sands of Fate for the character that's gone through Hordes of the Underdark, I suppose. It seems to be rated highly, but I haven't tried it.[/url]
themunck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent? Knight, from Players Handbook II. Alignment...lawful good. But that's just what I think.
themunck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themunck wrote:
Vincent? Knight, from Players Handbook II. Alignment...lawful good. But that's just what I think.

...Took the time to look through my books. A PHBII Knight is driven by the chase for glory. so I take the qouted thing back. Fighter? maybe, kinda hard to train for battle without a sword. Paladin? No, not commited enough. Monk? Would be the best choice, but nobody has trained him. He is lawful, so babarian is out.

Hmm...Multiclass Commoner/warrior, both from Dungeon Masters Guide.

Oh, and maybe monk isn't the best choice. If the turns his body into a weapon, he would be zapped non-stop, right?
goldentails

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my brother in law plays WoW so i'll make a vincent name thats a human warrior or palatin and fight with no wepions. or do the same thing with my oblivion game with a new name and train strongly in hand to hand combat. i'll just sell the wepions to stores untill i get umbrla the soul stealing sword. 11 sword power her armmor (the woman umbrla) i'll keep too for all together def is 22 plus you look freaken sweet in it.
Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard at all to play as Vincent. What's hard is to win as Vincent, as Vincent himself has repeatedly found to be the case.

Honestly, if you find you're winning a lot of fights, then you aren't staying in character. Vincent does not kick ass. If this means you don't get much exp, well, too bad. Them's the breaks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: