Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temperature in Finland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jostikas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Temperature in Finland Reply with quote

Its over the melting point? Good... until you consider what will happen if all this liquid water on the sidewalks and in the snow freezes again, as temperatures drop again :D It's what's going on here in Tartu, Estonia right now. Better grow some spikes under your heels.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Temperature in Finland Reply with quote

Jostikas wrote:
Its over the melting point?

Yeah, it is. The roof is magically clean of snow again now! (After two days of big blocks of snow crashing down, scaring the cats.)

Jostikas wrote:
Good... until you consider what will happen if all this liquid water on the sidewalks and in the snow freezes again, as temperatures drop again :D It's what's going on here in Tartu, Estonia right now. Better grow some spikes under your heels.

Here in Finland, we grow ice skates ;P

I'll move this thread to the "General Discussions" forum, as it talks about the real world more than the comic world ;) Their temperature is over the melting point as well though, it's April there ;)
Negation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, every morning I encounter nice icy path down the hill that I have to tackle in a way or other. If I try to walk it slowly, I just start sliding downhill and risk falling down. I once tried speeding up a little bit, but the result was that if I slowed down again, I started sliding and risked falling down. So in the end I had almost run down to path, until I decided that the snowy bank of the path is much more suitable for walking ;P
Kazairl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any storm recovery tips? My mom lives in western Kentucky, USA and they had a severe ice storm Monday night through Tuesday night that knocked out electricity to about 600,000 in that state (plus others in surrounding states). She's been without power since Tuesday morning and the storm also caused a great deal of damage to the trees in the yard (not wind, just the weight of ice that formed on them). Fortunately, the house has a gas fireplace. It's now warmed up to well above freezing. The weather service posted a special weather statement yesterday for falling chunks of ice from trees, power lines, etc..

Here's some pictures from her town and surrounding areas:
Ice Storm Pictures
Rainaari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool pics...

I lived in KY for about two years but was lucky not to get so much ice. I found that ppl in KY are not very well adopted to ice and snow (i saw ppl wearing face masks when the temp dropped below 0?C and three snow flakes fell...)

Being without electricity is hard, most of the time even the heating is electricity depended so you freeze even with gas. Glad your fireplace is working.

Regarding your trees: Once the ice is gone, but latest by mid-march before the onset of vegetation, i'd nurse the trees and cut broken branches. Other stuff... no idea. At some point man must accept nature has the bigger hammer.... ,)
Rainaari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i almost forgot:

After some years, the Main (rather biggerish river over here, about 150m wide) froze over again.. here are some pictures:

Flickr: Schleuse Obernau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: