Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A trip deep down Memory Road...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainaari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: A trip deep down Memory Road... Reply with quote

Loosely related with todays LOTD Obsolete Skills...:

A few days ago i found a box of Diskettes, some from (*couch*) 1989, even 5 1/4 ones. My moms basement holds my old and trusted P-166 and somewhere there should be the old 5 1/4" drive as well (if not rusted to pieces...). My actual comp doesnt even have a disk drive anymore, and i am not sure any games would run under WinXP.
Wing Commander 1, for example should be almost unplayable since the 166 MHz CPU might be way too fast. Sim City 1 is a classy, but SC2000 has so much better graphics and gameplay. LHX was fun on an 286 (which went away 2 years ago...). Those long nights fighting Space Quest 3 (which was one of the first graphic adventures but you had to enter commands via command line..) Since I rarely play these days, all that stuff will probably go down to recycling... *sniff*

So, on one of the next weekends, part of my youth will be gone forever...
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok as long as you really recycle the stuff (flea market anyone?) and not just chuck the stuff away. Although I don't really know if anybody would buy those anymore.

Sometimes I like to make a trip to past and play some really old games. I don't have my trusty Commodore 64, but I can always use an emulator. Six Gun Shootout is one of my favourites.

I guess Wing Commander would run with dosbox fairly ok too, but I haven't got much experience on that. Pretty much only game I played on dosbox was Ultima IV.

It's always sad to get rid of old stuff with lots of memories. But it's true that physical space sets some limitations and everything can't be stored forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: