Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of SHD-WK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do if I can't keep running SHD-WK the way it runs now?
Keep up the quality, go back to 2 updates per week.
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Keep the update schedule, draw stick figures if you must.
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Whatever, I don't really care, I don't have an opinion.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (please specify in thread).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

tbowl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man. Your health is #1 but here's what I suggest. :)

Update 2x a week, keep cranking episodes as you can, work up the buffer, start setting up the episodes in an automated release fashion where all you have to do is keep dumping stuff into the end of the queue. That way if you ever luck out and get to go, your comic will still be updating for years... All someone has to do is keep paying the domain and hosting, which can be paid in advance for years anyway...

Not being morbid, just realistic. I don't want to see anything happen to my favorite spiky haired dragon/worthless knight buddy. :( But I'd also like ya to be out of pain. :/
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbowl wrote:
start setting up the episodes in an automated release fashion where all you have to do is keep dumping stuff into the end of the queue.

It's been set up that way since 2003 ;P
tbowl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go man, so cut back to 2x a week, then make another 20 years of episodes and forward the project wonderful buttons into negation's name. :D you'll be the Tupac of webcomics. :D

Sorry just trying to put a positive silly spin on it. I know you're goin through the grinder right now. It is tragic how much pain our bodies are allowed to endure. :/
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to make it sort-of-official with tonight's update ... I'll drop back to the original Tuesday/Friday schedule starting from April.

I'm just not sure yet whether to start from April 1st (#677) or April 8th (#681). Depends on whether I prefer to switch schedules on a new month or on a more suitable comic strip number, and on whether I manage to draw an additional 4 comics in time ... (Currently favouring the switch on #681. Also, it sounds less like an April Fool's joke then ;))

I'm still willing to read your opinions, comments, complaints, flames etc. in this thread, too :)
JohnTheWysard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The future of SHD-WK Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
at the moment it's really difficult.

Then take care of yourself. We're patient. We can wait. I for one would MUCH rather you be in good health and good spirits than struggling to meet what is (after all) a self-imposed schedule!

GoodThoughts, and prayers if you want them (they're on the way anyhow, up to you if you take them).
Negation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can make it to April the 8th, that would be good spot to switch schedule. If you think that it suits the story better than the 1st of April, you should aim to the 8th. However, don't over-exhaust yourself by trying achieve that. Consider even switching schedule earlier than the 1st if nothing else helps.

I wish we could do something more as a forum community. But I guess all we can do is to post here, tell you how great the comic is and keep you motivated. To me SHD-WK is the only comic I follow regularly, everything else I catch up once-twice a week or so.
TheOtherDibbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the comments next to the latest page: if you can't make it 'til April with 4 pages a week, don't try - it won't kill us if you have to drop the update schedule to 2-a-week next week. As for what to keep or lose, I for one like the forum, it's nice to be able to talk to other fans (and yourself), discuss the comic, toss theories around and all the rest of the stuff we do here. Sure it's not the most active forum on the net, but there are a number of us who post here regularly and would miss it if it went. On the other hand, it's your call, if you have reasons for dropping the forum I'm certainly not going to stop reading the comic or anything stupid like that in response.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
Regarding the comments next to the latest page: if you can't make it 'til April with 4 pages a week, don't try

I really want to, though; I hate change myself, especially change on short notice. Part of it is that I have a good deal of the work until end of March done, and changing the dates and plans would be some extra hassle too; I'd much rather change it from a point where I haven't yet fixed what goes up where and when.

Hey, my weekend cliffhangers are carefully planned! ;P
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second TheOtherDibbler here about keeping the forum. I like hanging here and reading the threads (even when I don't post to all of them). It's nice way to keep in touch with rest of the SHD-WK fans around the world.
dragonbunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the forum!
Re: todays notes
I don't post all that often,but some of the threads have made me laugh out loud (sitting in an open office with stressed psotgrad students, this is not entirely a good thing...hehe!), and I like the speculations around each strip. I think it adds a bit of extra spice to the comic :) But if you feel that removing the forum is a better option, then that is entirely your decision!

As long as the comic keeps gooing (at what ever pace suits you) and I get to find out what happens next, I'm a happy reader!

As far as the vote-button thing goes: I don't mind at all, and even remember to vote every now and then (*cough!*). We're reading *your* comic for free, so asking us to click on a button isn't exactly asking for much!

Best wishes with the health issues!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
I'm just not sure yet whether to start from April 1st (#677) or April 8th (#681).

Made a decision - the switch back to the old schedule will be April 1st. No April Fool's joke, that. (I currently have comics finished only until the end of next week -- it will be pretty hard to catch up anyway. I'm glad I had my buffer for all these years, without that I wouldn't have managed all this time without ever missing an update ;))
Psykotika

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never even notice when it's april fools day usually anyway XD it's just another day *hugs* I'm glad you're keeping it going! I wanna see what happens! XD
Deminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, long time reader but not much of a forum fan here. I think that if your health is really an issue you should try two weeks of no working on the comic at all and then maybe a two per week schedule.

Yeah I signed up just to say that :P
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deminia wrote:
Hello, long time reader but not much of a forum fan here. I think that if your health is really an issue you should try two weeks of no working on the comic at all and then maybe a two per week schedule.

Hi Deminia! That's basically exactly what I ended up doing :) Hoping I can manage to get started on drawing two per week this week. The website will go to the new schedule at the beginning of April.

Deminia wrote:
Yeah I signed up just to say that :P

goldentails

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your health should take priority here and forever more and i know that i would not mind that you took a month off. btw i realy do not know whats wrong with ya. i bet some of us could give out health tips for ya.if ya like. we are all conserned about you. heck i want to put you comic in the game i'm making i love it so much. we don't want to see you gone. i hope you get better soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: