Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i made a limerick
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semiconfused

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: My y'alls are not in any way Southern. It's just because I'm a straight g.

^_^
imreader

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when does a "straight g" use y'all? ;)

And what kind of Finglish are you talking about?
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imreader wrote:
And what kind of Finglish are you talking about?

The kind that happens when a Finn tries to speak English, but influenced by Finnish grammar ("I asked from my mother when dinner is ready", "I'm going to buy own car", stuff like that. Mostly wrong prepositions with verbs, no articles/pronouns where there should be any, articles/pronounce where there shouldn't be. I know which way is correct (most of the time -- in some cases, I'm beginning to forget), but if I'm lazy and don't think about it, I make the same typical mistakes people around me make).

There's also the type of Finglish that happens mostly in the IT industry, where the English words for things are often used in place of the Finnish ones (even if there are Finnish ones), so that the result is Finnish, but with mostly English nouns, verbs, and adjectives ;)

Maybe negation can explain it better though, since he's a native Finn and I'm not ...
imreader

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more familiar with the second case, but with me it's Hunglish. Which is ironic, 'cause Finnish and Hungarian are very related.
Negation

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
Maybe negation can explain it better though, since he's a native Finn and I'm not ...

Not sure if I can do it better, but lets try anyway..

One problem is that we don't have articles or prepositions. Instead of using prepositions, we just conjugate words to different forms. Like "car" = "auto", hence "into a car" -> "autoon", "in a car" -> "autossa" and "out of car" -> "autosta". So remembering to use prepositions is hard enough, not to mention how to pick a correct one.

On top of that, finnish sayings and forms creep into the english that we speak. Which often shows up as an incorrect prepositions or even completely incorrect choice of words. We have one word "lainata" which can mean both "to lend" and "to borrow". So if somebody only learns one of those words, he'll be using it in wrong way.

Saying can't always be translated directly from a language to another, this is not the case with finnish only. Literal translation of "Heit‰n sinut keskustaan" would be "I'll throw you to downtown", when the correct one should be "I'll give you a ride to downtown".

And IT-finglish is pretty horrible. We happily mix finnish and english, often conjugating english as it were finnish and generally mangle the language. Instead of inventing proper word/spending time to remember it, we just take the shortest route. Like "Software release was done on target" (thus, not being late) can be "Softa riliisi meni targettiin". There's only one word that is real finnish, rest of that is just mistreated english.

This is partly because we're dealing with people who don't speak finnish, so the terms tend to stick even when you switch language. And it gets worse when there's lot of people, who all are speaking english and none of them isn't speaking it natively.
imreader

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grammar's a lot like Hungarian, which I don't actually know. I'm familiar with it, at least. This is the kind of stuff I hear when my dad's speaking Hungarian: English words all interspersed through a conversation.
goldentails

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we can have a limric contest.
there was a pig
that had to dig
for some shrooms
for dr.boom
who was neet,
as he was a keet.(parakeet)
TheOtherDibbler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing what you can learn from just a casual pastime (that has nothing to do with education). I never knew any of this, it's interesting. :D

ak-ryuu wrote:
At university, we had an assistant professor from Australia. That accent took a while to get used to ;P
Hah! You find normal Australian accents hard to understand? You'd be screwed if you ever met me. I seem to have absorbed elements of several different English dialects, with the result that, although I've never been outside of Australia, people keep asking me what country I'm from. I've been told I sound Canadian/Australian, some random UK accent (ie one of the localised ones, not say the 'London English' accent or one of those more comonly heard ones) and a few other things. No one can understand me! Mwahahaha! It's kinda annoying really. :(

semiconfused wrote:
DISCLAIMER: My y'alls are not in any way Southern. It's just because I'm a straight g.
What the heck is a 'straight g'?
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
Hah! You find normal Australian accents hard to understand?

Nah, just hard to get used to ;) It was hard sitting through his lectures with a straight face -- especially since he was reading Phonetics :)

TheOtherDibbler wrote:
I've been told I sound Canadian/Australian, some random UK accent (ie one of the localised ones, not say the 'London English' accent or one of those more comonly heard ones) and a few other things.

Heh. I spent some time in Ireland and some more time in Nova Scotia, and the Canadians thought I sounded Irish, while in Ireland I had been told I sounded Canadian. Nowadays I mostly just speak with a Finnish-German accent though, I somehow got lazy ... or haven't been around native speakers for too long.

On the topic of limericks ....
The first limerick I ever heard was when we learned about them in English class, and I still remember it:
Code:
There was a young lady of Riga
Who smiled as she rode on a tiger.
    They came back from the ride
    With the lady inside
And a smile on the face of the Tiger...

Might be fun to write some proper SHD-WK related Limericks, but I'm too lazy and I'm not sure what I'd want to rhyme with "Dragonore" anyway ...
goldentails

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiky was have a riky good time playing to noon
then she heard a big boom and ran out to see what happend just 1 after noon.
vecent came out of the dust, covered in rust,a busted shield in his hand and said.
at lease i got the rust off of this shield now i can just repare it and sell it for money now.
the shield got them thousands of money and then some one laughnly put a knife in vences hand so he get zap and ran with the poor sap's money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> General discussions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: