Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merchandise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaos-drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriegel wrote:
ak-ryuu wrote:
We here in Finland wear short-sleeved shirts until it's well below freezing temperature ... ;P

I wear short sleeved shirts until it reaches...I don't know...45 F - 50 F.

Yeah. See, I live in a country where 'summer' lasts for about 1-2 weeks every year, but the rest of the year isn't kind enough to be calm, or good honest cold, oh no, the rest of the year is rain and storms, so anything heavier than a t-shirt is very much appreciated most of the time ;)
flaplaca

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Merchandise? Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:

Cafepress, I'm not overly happy with the quality; <snip>

Cafepress would undoubtedly be the easiest choice, but would you really be happy with Cafepress quality...?

Well, I ordered a t-shirt from them, (because I needed a larger size) and it just came today. (Less than a week, so prompt service)

I have no complaints with the quality straight from the package, as long as it doesn't wash out or shrink once I launder it.

I got the Vincent and Roland one, I like it!
flaplaca

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
semiconfused wrote:
As far as a new design, maybe something w. text? Like "Dragon Mind Trick," hehe.

Or "Shut up, dragon" ;) Text only I can do without problems, just vector graphics I can have a maximum of three in a free shop, and two I have already. But if I use the fonts they supply, then text only is no problem.

"Shut up, dragon."

Yes, definitely.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Merchandise? Reply with quote

[Cafepress]
flaplaca wrote:
I have no complaints with the quality straight from the package, as long as it doesn't wash out or shrink once I launder it.

I don't trust Cafepress shirts not to wash out over time .... Let us know what it looks like after the first couple rounds of laundry :)

flaplaca wrote:
I got the Vincent and Roland one, I like it!

Ah, so you were the one! I noticed that somebody ordered that and wondered who that could have been ;P I have the Vincent/Roland picture on a tote bag (I think that's what they're called, anyway...), not from Cafepress though but from Spreadshirt-EU.

Hmh, I think that picture/shirt had the URL on it, if so, it's probably the old URL (shd.khrysh.net)... Doesn't matter though, it will always work, it's just not the preferred address anymore ;)
flaplaca

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Merchandise? Reply with quote

ak-ryuu wrote:
[ I have the Vincent/Roland picture on a tote bag (I think that's what they're called, anyway...), not from Cafepress though but from Spreadshirt-EU.

A tote bag? Where is that available?

I'm going to wear the t-shirt (provided it doesn't fade completely away before then) at World Fantasy, give you some free advertising!
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Merchandise? Reply with quote

flaplaca wrote:
A tote bag? Where is that available?

It used to be here (Spreadshirt EU store), but it may or may not show up correctly right now, as Spreadshirt changed their layouts yesterday, completely breaking all existing stores, and I haven't had time to fix things yet ...

.... one more reason that I don't like Spreadshirt anymore. The quality of their products is great, but the quality of their service to shop owners (and I have a paid shop, which isn't cheap ...) is ... not so great anymore. Had nothing but problems in the past year.

Makes it harder for me though to find a solution for the merchandise in the future :/ (Anyone still have good ideas? Post them in this thread :))

flaplaca wrote:
I'm going to wear the t-shirt (provided it doesn't fade completely away before then) at World Fantasy, give you some free advertising!

Cool :D
imreader

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a strong supporter of "Shut up, dragon."
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imreader wrote:
I am a strong supporter of "Shut up, dragon."

Isn't a version of that even still available? Only in the EU shop again, though ... And with the same restrictions as above (shop currently not working right due to Spreadshirt changing their platform) ...

I'm currently thinking maybe I go the silkscreen route after all. That, though, would mean that I could only afford one design (it's quite a lot of cash up front, since silkscreens can't be done on a one-by-one basis), and that would then probably be some type of "Do not anger the dragon" with an angry orange/red Spiky. Still thinking about things, though.

But yeah, I spent all evening again trying to find the perfect alternative for Spreadshirt (since their platform change annoyed me more than it should have, but combined with all the other trouble I've had in the past year ...)

I'll have to look into the US version of Spreadshirt again, maybe they didn't change their platform in the same way. At least the "Shut up dragon" shirt should (hopefully) be possible to recreate there.

Is white on blue a good choice for that? Or do you prefer a different colour combination?
imreader

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I wish I had known there were merchandise before I read this thread. Then I would probably know that shirt existed, and you wouldn't have to write that huge post apologizing for spreadshirt.

Um...oops?
semiconfused

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White on blue sounds cool to me!
DesertNaiad

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be merchandise other than shirts, do you think? I'm more a coffee mug sort of person myself.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertNaiad wrote:
Will there be merchandise other than shirts, do you think? I'm more a coffee mug sort of person myself.

If I had lots of money to start a merchandising imperium (or something ;P), my favourite merchandise would be Spiky plushies, and customized dice. But everything that goes beyond low-quality (i.e. digital print) t-shirts (and other stuff) needs quite a bit of money up front...
I think cafepress does coffee mugs; should look at their stuff again, so a Spiky coffee mug from cafepress, that I can arrange...

But yeah, the basic idea is still to find a new merchandising partner, and to have only a small range of merchandise available, but in good quality. Ideally that partner would also handle shipping etc., and would ship all over the world (which Spreadshirt EU for example doesn't do, which is yet another reason that I don't want to use them for SHD-WK stuff in the future). Even more ideally, that partner would be in the EU themselves, so that it's actually possible to make a small amount of money from the merchandise to go towards paying for this website's traffic (it's quite a bit now) and not have it all eaten up by exchange fees (as would happen with cheques from the US) :)

I'm also somewhat considering to handle the shipping etc myself, but a) that means a bit of extra work (ok, that would be doable), and b) I'm in Finland, so shipping to *anywhere* is quite expensive :/
DesertNaiad

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who MegaTokyo uses (the shop is called MegaGear, and I think it's part of AppleGeeks, at least there are links there) but the quality was decent on a t-shirt I bought for my girlfriend recently, and they have stuff besides shirts. I know nothing about how merchandising works, though, or even if it's a site you could use. We try to support the sites we like a lot whenever we can, so holidays usually find us buying at least 1-2 things from online sites we frequent, but that's the closest I get to merchandising. :)
roofpig

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I PMed you about some of this, but check out Brunetto (www.brunettotshirts.com). You need to put up the money to get merchandise, but you can do a pre-order (like I'm doing). They actually have a pretty diverse amount of things you can get screenprinted, and supposedly the quality is pretty good.

On the pre-order side, you'd just need to set up a PayPal account to handle the transactions, and that's pretty simple. Then you can create "cart" buttons, and they walk you through that step by step. It's actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

I'd like to get to the point where I can maintain my own store without having to use CafePress, but I'd need enough people willing to buy merchandise, and my pre-orders have already proved that I don't have that many people willing. But then again, I only really have about 1500 readers on a daily basis, and that's not really a huge number when considering merchandise sales (especially when your target demographic is younger folks and poor college students).
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roofpig wrote:
I know I PMed you about some of this, but check out Brunetto (www.brunettotshirts.com). You need to put up the money to get merchandise, but you can do a pre-order (like I'm doing). They actually have a pretty diverse amount of things you can get screenprinted, and supposedly the quality is pretty good.

(Even if we're taking most of this to PM, I'll repeat part of my reply here too :))
Many webcomics are using Brunetto, and I have yet to hear anything less than praise about them.. The main problem is that I would have to handle the shipping, and most likely most of the potential buyers aren't in Finland ... and shipping costs here, even to Europe, are quite high; to the US, the shipping possibly costs more than the shirt, and thinking that Brunetto would first have to ship the shirts here, and then I would have to ship some shirts right back across the ocean, it sounds a bit like doing this the wrong way ... But I should probably check with the post office to see what the prices would actually be; maybe they are lower than I remember...? Not much hope for that ...

Does anyone here have any experience with PrintMojo? I am still considering doing a screenprinted "Angry Spiky" shirt, and would possibly go with PrintMojo for that.

The other thing is still Spreadshirt US, as I posted earlier in this thread ... but I haven't yet had time to look into it further ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: