Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight
The Comic :: The Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cast page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The cast page should reflect...
... the status at the beginning of the comic
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
... the status at the current stage of the comic
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 13

ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Cast page Reply with quote

Finally I managed to update the characters page somewhat. Which reminded me, there's one thing I cannot quite make up my mind about, so I'll ask here for opinions...

Suppose a character (or what people know about a character) changes throughout the comic. Perhaps his or her name isn't known in the beginning, perhaps he or she lied about their age, perhaps he or she dies during the comic. Should the cast page reflect the status of the character at the beginning of the comic, or at the current state of the comic?

Who reads cast pages anyway? People who are new to the comic and haven't read the archives yet (but are going to)? People who are new to the comic and plan not to read the archives, but jump in at the current point (do those exist?)? I wonder....

Know what, I'll make this a poll, then I can get opinions even from those who are too lazy to type ;P I'll vote for the first option, because that is what my cast page does, with some minor exceptions.

Heh, and no speculations about why I need to ask this ;P

Last edited by ak-ryuu on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Negation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third group of people is those who have read the archives and just want to check their facts about characters (birthdates, last names and such). For that group of people cast page that reflects current state is better.

A cast page that offers both informations would cater to all three groups, but I'm not sure what format it would then take.
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negation wrote:
A cast page that offers both informations would cater to all three groups, but I'm not sure what format it would then take.

One with spoiler warnings. Because the reason to reflect the state of the comic at the beginning is that otherwise, people who haven't read the archives yet would get their fun spoiled...
Rainaari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, i'd say actual state:

When I stumble over a new comic, i usually read the current strip then maybe the previous two or so. If I'm caught, i'll read from the beginning, if 'im somewhat but not fully interesting, i take a look at the characters page to learn how ppl are now.
I dont care about spoilers, I'm happy enough to find (and remember) the spoiled incidents...
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, don't gang up on me! I don't want to change the characters page as it is now! ;P

But one possible plan for the future had been all along to link the characters from the current cast page to more in-depth character pages; those then would not need to be spoiler-free I guess, and the overview would be. Or something. Dunno when I'd get around to doing that though...
Alvan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems like the ganging up continues - I prefer up-to-date info, perhaps even "better than up to date" info, in some cases. For example useless tidbit knowledge about the characters that will not be shown in the comic.

The character page looks nice now, btw. Were the heads always colored?
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvan wrote:
For example useless tidbit knowledge about the characters that will not be shown in the comic.

Ah, but that is already there. If not on the character page, then elsewhere. And of that there will be more, since that I don't consider spoiler-y. What I'm talking about are the big things... like if somebody dies. You don't want to start reading the story when the main story is already over, and check the character page and already read how it all ends.

Alvan wrote:
Were the heads always colored?

Yes.
Daigerus

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a third option that would show both. :P

But then, why not do this in this format?

Just show the beginning status in plain view, but have the current status "hidden" by making the text the same as the background and mark that section as "Not as spoiler-free" - People who want to read it would have to highlight the text if they want to be spoiled :P . That way, you don't need to do links to another page and save space at the same time. :D
ak-ryuu
Author

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daigerus wrote:
Just show the beginning status in plain view, but have the current status "hidden" by making the text the same as the background and mark that section as "Not as spoiler-free" - People who want to read it would have to highlight the text if they want to be spoiled :P . That way, you don't need to do links to another page and save space at the same time. :D

Hmm, that's an idea that I have to think about for a while. A disadvantage would be that it would make the cast page quite a bit longer ... but if I ever get around to making more detailed separate pages for the characters, I could have a hidden spoiler section. Good idea really :)

Man, my to-do list gets longer and longer .....
imreader

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the current state, because I use the cast pages if I forget who somebody is and need to remember. And with some characters, there original status would not help in the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spiky-Haired Dragon, Worthless Knight Forum Index -> The Website All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: